Skin rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreckie

Reaction score
Hey doc,

I fairly regularly get a rash on my shoulders after deepish dives, today its popped up down the side of my arm. Its a dark mottled kind of colour and looks similar to a love bite only fainter, it doesnt itch and skin sensation is normal. There are no other weard feelings or other symptoms. It usually mirrors the shape of my harness and the one thats come up on my arm is straight as a ruler.

My question is do you think its a skin bend or simply bruising from carrying my twinset around or a skin bend brought about by carrying it? im not really worried about its just interested really.

Thanks

Mike

Hello wreckie:

I do not believe that a true “skin bend” has he distribution on the skin that you described. I would suspect that he has something to o with the tanks and straps. Let us see what thoughts the other readers might have on this.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Cutaneous DCS does commonly present around the shoulders, and there is no apparent reason why it could not appear on the side of the arm.

However, for there to be no itchiness or change in sensation is unusual. And, it is extraordinarily unlikely that the distribution of a skin hit would involve very straight edges and/or mirror the shape of one's harness.

Mechanical rather than barophysiological forces seem to be at work in what you have described.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
C

... it is extraordinarily unlikely that the distribution of a skin hit would involve very straight edges and/or mirror the shape of one's harness.

Mechanical rather than barophysiological forces seem to be at work in what you have described.

DocVikingo

Could it be that susseptability to "skin DCS" (or whatever it's called) is made higher by a slight bruse or restricted circulation due to the pressure of a strap. Seems to me that mechanical damage could be
right on up there with dehydration as a DCS risk factor.

I follow your thinking, but very much doubt that slightly restricted circulation in a defined & limited area of skin which occurs almost exclusively during a dive would dispose to DCS. A slight bruise also seems unlikely to cause sufficient derangement of circulation to pose a DCS risk factor.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
---And, it is extraordinarily unlikely that the distribution of a skin hit would involve very straight edges and/or mirror the shape of one's harness.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Just a little humour from acadaemia here, eh? :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom