Sharing my recent experience with skin bends/skin decompression illness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do instructors no longer teach anything about deco sickness - signs/symptoms?
Do students remember everything from their OW/AOW courses? Most of us know at least a few things about "the bends," but maybe all of us don't specifically recall "skin bends" as being a thing.

My wife, an experienced diver, has had skin bends a couple of times when we dived less conservatively even though still within NDLs. She recently got tested for a PFO, and sure enough has one. She's considering whether to have it closed.

I just wanted to share my recent experience with skin bends, which I did not know existed until now.

Thank you!

Im surprised that someone can still get decompression sickness even after following all safety protocols.

You might find this thread useful:

“ Anyone can get DCS that dives deeper than 30'/10M, regardless of what your dive computer says. ”

So I really make sure to stay super well hydrated on dive trips now.
No, you want to stay hydrated, not "super" hydrated. There is significant evidence that being overly-hydrated is a major factor in IPE, a situation that's considerably more serious than skin bends potentially.

I believe as slight as the case was, the oxygen relieved the symptoms, along with time.
As I get older, I am waiting for some SUV manufacturer to offer an "oxygen delivery system" as an option. Kinda like commercial planes have. Little O2 masks you can pull down and use on the drive home. Roll the windows up tight and crank the AC and you might even be able to build up .5 ata in the cabin to help... Basically a rolling decompression chamber... :)

No, you want to stay hydrated, not "super" hydrated. There is significant evidence that being overly-hydrated is a major factor in IPE, a situation that's considerably more serious than skin bends potentially.
Yes.

Somehow years ago dehydration got identified as the primary cause of DCS, and since then people have been pushing hydration more and more, about to the level of water intoxication.

In truth, there is no scientific evidence saying that dehydration is the primary cause of DCS. Dehydration is certainly one of the many factors that can make one prone to DCS, but not to the point that many people believe. You certainly don't want to be dehydrated, but you don't want to overdo it.

Stoo is also correct in saying that hyperhydration is beginning to be suspected as a factor in immersion pulmonary edema, which you certainly don't want on your dive.

There is significant evidence that being overly-hydrated is a major factor in IPE

I get this condition every time I dive a wetsuit. Yes, IPE in my wetsuit and not ashamed to admit it.

Fair enough, i'm familiar with hyponatremia having had it boot camp. I guess I should say I'm very cognisant to be properly hydrated and ensuring a balance of electrolytes and fluid intakes.

Back
Top Bottom