Skin Cancer Scare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
PLEASE WEAR SUNSCREEN/BLOCK!

Thursday I had four precancerous scaly patches burned off (two on the right hand, two on the left hand and one off the left side of my face) with liquid nitrogen. I was told that these potentially could turn into basal cell carcinouma without removal. Being a 45 year old fair skinned female, I played through my childhood without much sun protection (my parents did not have the information regarding skin cancer that we have today). As an adult, I thought I was pretty careful, but I must admit that during many summer and winter runs and carribean vacations I did not always coverup/lotion up. Fortunately, my wake up call was in time. My doctor said that all those unprotected childhood sunfilled days accumulated into an adult problem. So please fellow divers learn from my experience, our hobby not only takes us under the water, but it takes us out into the sun.

May we all dive cancer free,

Laine

Laine brings up a good point. I'm 53 and have had several of the same patches.

I have taken skin cancers off patients as young as 30 Y old (non-melanomas)and have seen the consequences of late detection.

Those that have accumulated multiple sunburns should get annual skin exams to catch things early. Many family docs and internists do great exams, some defer the exam to a dermatologist.

Those who were born after availability of good sunscreens should count themselves lucky, and use them.
One tropical trick is to apply the sunscreen every AM about 1/2 hour before you go out or do anything that generates perspiration.

This gives the sunscreen time to be incorporated in the stratum corneum before sweat dilutes it or salt water washes it away.
Dive safe and sunburn free,

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom