Skin bends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have you ever seen skin bends appear as a dark red hot area that looks like sunburn?
Last week I was on a liveaboard and after our second day of diving I felt a little stiffness in my left arm. I looked in the mirror and noticed a red area surrounding my left shoulder. I attributed it to sunburn as I was also red on the remainder of my upper torso although not as deep a color. After a little while the stiffness disappeared.

Next day we did a deep dive to 53 meters. Deco was on 50% nitrox following my computer profile. (Shearwater predator)

My arm again felt stiff with a slight discomfort in the shoulder joint. I mentioned it to my companions on the boat who asked me to raise my shirt. They immediately noticed the color variation on the left shoulder and made a joke about my having a map of France tattoo as a reminder from the trip.

Then it was suggested that I immediately begin hydrating excessively along with beginning to breathe 100% oxygen. I stayed on the O2 for 2 hours with 5 minute air breaks every 15 minutes.

After about an hour on the O2 the map and hot skin had disappeared. I still felt a point of discomfort in the joint that lasted for about 24 hours.

I returned to the water after this and after four more dives felt no recurring symptoms.

I have done quite a bit of reading since my return but have not found anything that mentions a dark red coloration along with being hot to the touch, associated with skin bends. Everything I read describes a marbling of the skin, of which there was none.

Thanks in advance for any input.

"Skin manifestations can range from a mild itch with a measle like rash
to an angry red rash or to a bluish marble like mottling of the skin."

some books mention things along these lines, they got the French bit right
and others suggest red lumpy painful things as being strain, prior injury, or
arthritis with a suggestion that when diving repetitively or beyond ten metres
dcs treatment is prudent.

LIPPMANN PARKER WILKS EDMONDS McKENZIE KNIGHTS THOMAS & ONE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom