Skin Bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went diving this past weekend in Crystal River, Florida. My deepest dive was to King's Spring (about 47 feet deep).....the other dives were fairly shallow (no deeper than 25 feet). I ascented at 30 feet per minute and did my stop for about 3 minutes to be extra cautious. About a day or two later, I noticed some bumps around my calf and ankle. They are itchy, but it does not feel like bugs are crawling over my skin. They appear to be bites from a mosquito or some other insect, but I don't remember being bitten. Last night, I pressed on the red "bump" on my calf -- and the pain, of course, increased a little but has remained constant (not extremely painful though) -- not to be gross, but the pain feels like when you have a zit and it is inflamed, thus causing pressure around it, if that makes sense. This probably all sounds silly, but does this sound like a case of the skin bends? Thanks.

Was the skin area exposed? Were you wearing a full suit or a shorty?

I went diving this past weekend in Crystal River, Florida. My deepest dive was to King's Spring (about 47 feet deep).....the other dives were fairly shallow (no deeper than 25 feet). I ascented at 30 feet per minute and did my stop for about 3 minutes to be extra cautious. About a day or two later, I noticed some bumps around my calf and ankle. They are itchy, but it does not feel like bugs are crawling over my skin. They appear to be bites from a mosquito or some other insect, but I don't remember being bitten. Last night, I pressed on the red "bump" on my calf -- and the pain, of course, increased a little but has remained constant (not extremely painful though) -- not to be gross, but the pain feels like when you have a zit and it is inflamed, thus causing pressure around it, if that makes sense. This probably all sounds silly, but does this sound like a case of the skin bends? Thanks.

Does not sound like skin bends....maybe chiggers.

Was the skin area exposed? Where you wearing a full suit or a shorty?

I was wearing a 3 mm full suit. It's weird. Guess I was bitten by some bugs while sleeping. I did sit out back along Crystal River at night with shorts, but I don't recall swatting at a mosquito or anything else. I know I'm not allergic to neoprene because I have worn this suit before without any complications.

your best bet is to call DAN and speak with the medical staff.

Chris

your best bet is to call DAN and speak with the medical staff. Chris

Hi shurite7,

Actually, there would be very little reason to call DAN regarding these particular signs and symptoms:

1. There is no evidence that the diver amassed sufficient gas loading to provoke DCI, and ascents were conservative and safety stops performed.

2. "Skin bends" or cutaneous DCS almost never affects the feet, ankles or calves. It is most likely to manifest in the areas of the trunk and shoulders.

3. The lesions around the ankles did not appear until "about a day or two" after the last dive. This would be a highly delayed onset for skin bends.

4. The diver is now at least 5 days post-dive. As such, hyperbaric treatment would not be conducted.

The poster indicates his spots "...appear to be bites from a mosquito or some other insect....," and it's very likely that is what they are and where treatment should commence, e.g., Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Cream.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This does not at all sound like a case of skin bends - - - for the numerous reasons mentioned above by Dr Vikingo.

Sounds like those might be bites from no-see-ums to me... I got eaten alive by them last time I was in Florida... just a thought

Back
Top Bottom