Skin Bends????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrjimboalaska

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After 2 dives to 90 ft. today, started feeling like I had done way too many sit-ups.
It is hard to explain other than that. NOT severe pain but I feel it when I move around and have had this happen once before after doing a 2 dives, one to 120ft and the other to 90ft. Should I be concerned? has anyone else experienced this????

Jimbo

Your best bet is to contact DAN.

For non-emergency medical questions, you can talk to a DAN Medic by calling +1-919-684-2948 (Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm EST).

Skin bends? Sounds kinda like the real deal. It may be too late to make a difference, but FOR EMERGENCIES - call DAN 24 hours at 1-800-446-2671. <edit> Yeah, what the redheaded lady said after I dropped the ball. Call them now.

In the future, use Nitrox, do a one minute stop at half of max depth, ascend no faster than 1 ft per 2 seconds, safety stop at 15 ft, float on the surface for couple of minutes before boarding, avoid exercise and hot showers for 4 hours. Or are you already doing all that....??

Skin bends are usually accompanied by a rash and itching is the major complaint. There is a more serious condition called chokes that causes painful breathing. Call DAN please.

Well, the muscle soreness that I was experiencing last night is gone, still question whether it was a DCI or not.....could be a sign that this fat old man needs to get a little better workout, although I do get 4 dives a week in.........thanks for the input

Jimbo

mrjimboalaska:
Well, the muscle soreness that I was experiencing last night is gone, still question whether it was a DCI or not.....could be a sign that this fat old man needs to get a little better workout, although I do get 4 dives a week in.........thanks for the input

Jimbo
Good to hear. The suggestion I offered above are some of the best stolen from wiser members here - consider them all please. Did I mention working at hydration? Very important also.

If this ever happens again, or you just don't feel right, call DAN and/or go to ER. I'm sure the local physicians know the various signs.

I do hope you dive with DAN or equivalent insurance. One dive without such is too many. But you don't have to be a member to get advice.

When I got the skin bends the way you described the pain is one of the syptoms I experienced. I do think you may have had Subcutaneous Decompression Illness. I had other symptoms also-rash, bruising, burning pain but my case may have just been more severe. If you haven't already, contact DAN if for no other reason than they are compiling data for a study on this type of DCI.
I started diving Nitrox, doing half-stops and longer, slower ascents and haven't had any problems since. .
If you have this happen again, 100% is the best thing to do for immediate care. I bought & started taking an O2 kit with me whenever I dive just in case. That's probably extreme but the second time I had it happen I went to an ER and requested O2. More than an hour later I left having had no O2 because they were still debating what to do and my symptoms had subsided by then. So, now I'm prepared.
Hope your "pain" is better.

Excerpting here...
I went to an ER and requested O2. More than an hour later I left having had no O2 because they were still debating what to do and my symptoms had subsided by then.
Did you phone DAN on the way to the ER, discussing this and advising which hospital you were going to? That did suck, glad you're okay...

Thanks.
I did not call DAN on my way to the ER-I was alone midway between Seattle and Portland and on the phone to my partner to let her know what was going on-I didn't even know what hospital I was headed to-I just followed the signs from the highway. This was the second time it happened and I'd talked to the Medic at DAN after the first incidence and knew what I needed. Once I got to the ER, I explained that it was dive-related and needed to be put on O2 as soon as possible. And that they could contact DAN for more information. I should have called myself but by the time I figured out they weren't going to help me, I was in the part of the hospital where I couldn't use my cell. They had a doc (that never saw me or talked to me) who insisted that he knew everything there was to know about DCI (because he was from Hawai'i), that I didn't have it, and that I needed an X-ray, not oxygen. Once my symptoms subsided, it seemed prudent to just leave. I didn't feel like I was going to get much help there. At least not without a lot more hassle than I wanted to deal with. I felt good enough that I drove the hour and a half home, cleaned my gear, and went to work for 4 hours that evening although I did have the residual "too many situps" feeling until the next day.
I'm lucky it wasn't worse, that I "survived" without O2 or a chamber ride and haven't had it happen again. I'm doing what DAN suggested with the Nitrox and do keep the O2 kit handy. Hopefully, I'll never need it.

When is a skin rash more than just a rash from neoprene or another irritant and something more serious? If it is a skin bend is the rash accompanied by pain? I've had a rash after diving before, but never thought too much about it until I read this thread.

Cheers, Simon

Back
Top Bottom