Skin Bends without a PFO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgogirl22:
Hydration, exertion, and excessively slow ascent rates (believe it or not) appear to have been causes for my various hits.
I assume exertion was a contributing factor. That makes sense. Just to clarify ... too little hydration or too much. I didnt know there could be too much. This is also the first time I have heard that too slow ascent could be a problem. I guess if it is very slow and deep, you are still piling up NDLs. Can you be more specific?

Thanks,

Willie

How does an excessively slow ascent cause a skin bend?

dlent:
How does an excessively slow ascent cause a skin bend?

I can't comment on specifically why skin would be most impacted, but all deco schedules assume a specific ascent rate. If you go slower than specified, you are going to continue on-gassing during the deeper part of your ascent, and therefore have a larger decompression obligation than your plan would specify. Thus by continuing with your original plan, you will be short decompression time and risk a hit.

This is one of the reasons why buoyancy skills and awareness need to be very solid before you start approaching decompression or technical diving. Too fast an ascent and too slow an ascent are both bad.

Oops, you're right, I meant dehydration (not hydration!).

I'm still not clear on the reasoning behind diminishing NDL during an ascent, regardless of the rate. My computer is the Suunto Vyper, and I have contacted them regarding the calculations behind it, but I haven't received a response.

The scenario was this: wreck dive with most of the dive spent doing penetrations at 110-120ft, followed by a bit of time on the deck at 85ft. We began up the ascent line with a few minutes of NDL left (admittedly too little), at which point I concentrated on watching my depth rather than my NDL since I have become used to NDL increasing as you head up the line, so I assumed that there was no point in monitoring it once we were headed for the surface. (As you can guess, I have learned my lesson here!) Upon reviewing my profile, NDL continued to be consumed as we went up since it was an excessively slow ascent rate (something like 10ft/min) which was intentional since I have been bent before and I thought I was being conservative by going so slowly. We stopped for a one minute safety stop at half our maximum depth (60ft), and that is the point that I ran out of NDL and went into deco. Somehow, I didn't notice that my computer was telling me to ascend immediately to a deco stop at 10ft (I think, may have been a slightly different depth) and so we continued our slow ascent up the line. We stopped at 15ft for 3 minutes, and though the deco obligation was violated, it actually cleared by the time I reached the surface.

The skin bends I received several hours after that dive was extremely minor, but it was a warning and it caused me to go back and check my profile, at which point I realized that I had blown a deco obligation. There may have been other factors that contributed, namely the fact that I got quite cold on the boat before that dive.

I have discussed this with many people, and most of them agree that as long as you are ascending, the pressure gradient should be such that you will be offgassing as you ascend regardless of the rate, until you reach an equilibrium and begin to build up nitrogen again. According to this theory, you should never lose NDL during an ascent. Perhaps I don't understand decompression theory well enough to see the full picture here, so if anybody out there has any insight, please share the wealth!

Virgogirl22:
Oops, you're right, I meant dehydration (not hydration!).
That's what I thought you meant, just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the additional info.

Willie

Virgogirl22:
...I have discussed this with many people, and most of them agree that as long as you are ascending, the pressure gradient should be such that you will be offgassing as you ascend regardless of the rate, until you reach an equilibrium and begin to build up nitrogen again. According to this theory, you should never lose NDL during an ascent. Perhaps I don't understand decompression theory well enough to see the full picture here, so if anybody out there has any insight, please share the wealth!

This is a dangerous misunderstanding of decompression theory. If I understand it correctly, your arguement may be true for some tissue compartments but will be false for others.

For the fun of it, you might want to download a copy of V-Planner (RGBM decompression software) and try out some profiles to see just where off-gassing starts. For example, a simple 30 minute dive to 120 feet on 30% with a 30 foot per minute ascent rate shows off-gassing starts at 73 feet. Dawdling below that depth on the ascent is adding to your gas load and thus your decompression obligation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom