Skills to practice in a quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In a few months, I'll be returning home after a year or so away from diving. My plan is to spend several weekends at a quarry just diving. I'm looking for suggestions of what to do/skills to practice while diving. So far, I've come up with things like UW nav, shoot an SMB, terrain mapping, etc. I wouldn't include things like bouyancy because that should be a part of every dive, not a purpose. It's a bit like saying that the focus of the next static line jump is to focus on body position.

Coming home from deployment?? I was in that situation a few months ago. I'm going to offer my advice and that would be to find a knowledgeable diver/instructor in your area for your first few dives. My first dive I was the one with the more recent diving experience and it didn't turn out to be much fun.

As far as skills, air share would be on my list, as well as: doff and don mask, clear mask, and the 4 kicks: frog, mod. frog, mod. flutter, and helicopter kick. I might also recommend that a camera be brought along because words are great, but the camera doesn't lie. I know that the pictures and video reviews of my Essentials class were amazing for showing exactly what a diver was doing during each skill practice.

Good luck and safe diving!!

Peace,
Greg

I think it's really good to review safety stuff: Mask flood and clear and remove and replace, while neutral and without changing depth. Air-sharing in the water column, with a controlled ascent. Orally inflating your BC at depth and on the surface. Ditching weights at the surface (it's sufficient to pull them out, you don't have to drop them!)

Practice controlled descents and ascents, maintaining eye contact with your buddy. Stopping at 10 foot intervals is a good exercise in buoyancy control. Shooting a bag and ascending while controlling the line is always good for a laugh, too, especially if you have never done it (start shallow!) or haven't done it in a while.

And most of all, just play in the water column. Go head down, or roll over on your back. Get relaxed and comfortable and stable in all positions and attitudes. Remember how much fun it was to be weightless.

Throw something in the quarry (environmentally friendly of course in case you can't find it) that is big and flat and sinks quickly. (Assuming the bottom is not too deep for your dive.) And then go see if you can find it by doing a search pattern.

I'm addicted to competition and challenges though so this might only be fun for me.

(Big and flat object because it will "sail" around as it sinks and you won't be able to tell where it went based on where you threw it in.)

Welcome home!

i dunno...reel work? that's a great thing to do in a quarry, but if you have no need of it it wouldn't be good use of your time right now.

and just hovering. noooooot mooooooooooviiiiiiiing. but i really like that, so that might just be me, too. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom