SK7 leaking... any 'official' suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

I have a Suunto SK7 compass that has developed a rather large air bubble. The compass has less than a hundred dives on it and has been treated carefully. Of course, it's past its warranty.

I've read of people attempting to refill their SK7s and sealing the new hole with a particular glue. No mention, though, of locating the source of the original leak.

Does Suunto offer any suggestions re: leaking compasses? Ideally, how long should an SK7 last before air bubbles start to develop?

Thank you.

Hold it under a light and look for the hairline crack going from the center of the compass to the outer edge. If you can't see it, press down on the face until the liquid comes out.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2013 at 07:29 AM ----------

Does Suunto offer any suggestions re: leaking compasses?

Yes, buy another one......... or, considering their disinterest, buy a Pelagic.

annasea,

Please contact Andrews Compass. That is the authorized service center for Suunto Compasses.

Welcome to Andrews Compass Service | Professional Marine Compass Adjustments, Sales and Service to Government, Commercial and Recreational Boaters | Professional Marine Compass Adjustment

Andrews Compass Service
11 Baptist Street
Mattapoisett, MA 02739 USA

Phone:
Local/Fax: (508) 758-3001
Cell: (508) 965-6599
Toll Free: 1-800-KOM-PASS Toll Free: 1-800-566-7277

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

I had the same problem with cracking and air bubbles, then the housing started flexing and the compass wouldn't spin anymore under pressure. It went in the trash and I use a different compass now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom