Sizing SP Jets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've got pretty big feet, depending on who makes the boot/shoe I'm from a 12 to a 14 in regular shoes...I can't remember what size my neoprene boots are, I'm going to run out to storage as soon as I get off work and double check, but I'm curious about the size charts for jet fins.

The sizing chart pretty much has me between an XL and an XXL...Do the shoe sizes they list account for the thickness of neoprene added, or are they going off bare foot shoe sizes? I'm nowhere near a shop, so I'm stuck buying online, because I want to have them the next time I make the trip back to the coast so I can get in the water again..Once I check my boots I'll post up the size (if I can find it..) they're Bare boots, I don't remember anything else really, they're either 5 or 7mm..

Thanks diveprof, I was leaning toward the xxl already, just wanted someone's opinion who had experience with them before I spent the money on something that was the wrong size..

Try them on for size.

There is a big jump from XL to XXL. The XXL has a huge foot pocket designed for rock boots, etc.

I wear an XL with size 10 EE feet and 7mm neoprene boots and they are a bit tight width wise. The XXL's work great with my EVO3 boots (rockboot clones)

A better option for you may be the XXL OMS slipstream. They are a monoprene version of the Jetfin and the foot pocket is slightly wider and larger than the Scubapro XL pocket - it is about half way betwene the SP XL and XXL in terms of size.

Unfortunately trying them on isn't a realistic option...It's obviously the best choice, but it's just not possible, unless I drive 2 hours to the nearest LDS just to try on a pair of fins. Thanks for the tip about the Slipstreams, I was leaning to the Jets for cost, but if they fit better it's a good choice!

You're almost certain to need XXL's. I'm a size 10, using XL Jets I'm ok with your basic boots that have rather thin soles. If I put on a boot with a substantial sole, I can't get the fins on.

Another Sb'er just sent me a pair of XL Slipstreams. They are identical in size & shape to XL Jets. The foot pockets are marginally larger. Not much, not enough for me to wear the heavier soled boots. I have not had the chance to compare XXL in both fins.

I strongly recommend you DON'T buy Scubapro Jetfins (the original black rubber ones) without trying them first. There is a high probability you won't be able to wear them. I've sold them for years, but I can't wear them and I know lots of other experienced divers who can't either. It's not a question of size, but the shape and profile of the footbed. I can get away with XL or XXL from the point of view of size (my feet are a wide US 10), but the footbed is too short for my feet and very rigid, and the upper edge cuts painfully into the top of my foot. At the same time the lower part isn't long enough to locate my foot positively and the fin can move up and down a bit, greatly exacerbating said pain. The OMS version seems better designed, but I've tried those and although I didn't get the acute pain I didn't find them very comfortable.

Nonetheless there are people around who swear by them, so you may be lucky. Most people I know swear at them.

I standardised years ago on the basic Mares fin, the one like the Quattro but with just two black rubber slots rather than the four of the Quattro and the three of another model. The ones I use now I've had since 1999 and have never had any problems with them (I use them for several dives a day almost every day). I bought these because they're yellow, and seals like to play with yellow fins. The friend I sold my previous black pair to is still using them, 14 years after I originally bought them. These fins are very powerful when you want them to be, and supremely comfortable. In fact, when I swapped during a dive with a friend who was using the OMS Jetfins, she didn't want to give them back!

I've tried lots of others (I have a shop and try everything I get in) but I come back to the Mares as being by far the best. Ironically, I'm not a Mares dealer and don't sell them!

I strongly recommend you DON'T buy Scubapro Jetfins (the original black rubber ones) without trying them first. There is a high probability you won't be able to wear them. I've sold them for years, but I can't wear them and I know lots of other experienced divers who can't either. It's not a question of size, but the shape and profile of the footbed. I can get away with XL or XXL from the point of view of size (my feet are a wide US 10), but the footbed is too short for my feet and very rigid, and the upper edge cuts painfully into the top of my foot. At the same time the lower part isn't long enough to locate my foot positively and the fin can move up and down a bit, greatly exacerbating said pain. The OMS version seems better designed, but I've tried those and although I didn't get the acute pain I didn't find them very comfortable.

Nonetheless there are people around who swear by them, so you may be lucky. Most people I know swear at them.

I standardised years ago on the basic Mares fin, the one like the Quattro but with just two black rubber slots rather than the four of the Quattro and the three of another model. The ones I use now I've had since 1999 and have never had any problems with them (I use them for several dives a day almost every day). I bought these because they're yellow, and seals like to play with yellow fins. The friend I sold my previous black pair to is still using them, 14 years after I originally bought them. These fins are very powerful when you want them to be, and supremely comfortable. In fact, when I swapped during a dive with a friend who was using the OMS Jetfins, she didn't want to give them back!

I've tried lots of others (I have a shop and try everything I get in) but I come back to the Mares as being by far the best. Ironically, I'm not a Mares dealer and don't sell them!

There is no one perfect fin for everyone. If one looks hard enough one will find pluses and minuses with each. there are always compromises. I agree that trying fins on and diving them if your local dive shop (or friends) will allow is the best. I have dove fins from most of the major manufacturers as a gear junkie who likes to borrow friends gear to try:D. Mares Quattro was a poor fit option for me and it felt like I was kicking a sheet of plywood (yeah I know, some other folks like it). I have nothing against Mares and have a pair of their full foot fins. I have dove the SP twin jets, atomics, biofins, aqualungs, force fins* and a host of others and yet I still like the tried and true SP jets.
* (I used to tease a dive buddy of mine about his Force fins until he let me try them. they are actually pretty good)

There is no one fin that is "best" for everyone. It is my understanding that the SP XXL was designed a little bit larger to accomodate the average footed diver who wants to wear rock boots. That said a size 14 foot is not your average divers size and in a hard sole, maybe even soft sole, would probably fit. If not, upgrade to a hard sole dive boot. Dive boots generally lose their warmth after a couple hundred dives and need replacement anyway. SP Jets last a while (like a lifetime +-). No, I don't own or work in a dive shop and am not affiliated with any dive shop.

Thanks for the heads up, guys. The gap in sizes seemed strange, but you covered the reasoning pretty well I'd say. It's sounding like I'll just wait until I'm back at the coast and try some on, see if I can't get a pair of one or the other to dive in before I buy. Right now I'm stuck renting fins, so I'm trying out all sorts of different stuff that I really *should* be keeping track of, and they've all been alright, but just so..I wasn't smart enough to pay any attention to exactly what fins I was diving, something from SP and something else from Mares, and some Oceanic split fins...Guess I was jumping the gun a little, glad I stopped to ask before I finished the trigger squeeze though!

Back
Top Bottom