Size small aluminum backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, the FP is strictly a single tank plate.
Thx

Why not expand into the double-tank plate market???

:)

meh, i skimmed and missed the doubles part since the last part was "we travel a lot and mostly just dive warm water"

OP should just go sidemount with a mexico style rig

Why not expand into the double-tank plate market???

:)
Several reasons.
Because it’s too limited of a market and the mounting system would have to be too convoluted and complicated to make it worth it. There’s also other issues with argon bottle mounting and other perimiter holes for clipping etc. by the time I design and build all this the plate would so expensive that it wouldn’t be worth it.
My experience is that it’s also not worth the effort to try and break into the tech market when they already have a system that has been reverse engineered to grow within the whole tech mindset. In other words, the tech world is a tough nut to crack and there’s not enough of it to bother with. They seem to be perfectly happy with what they have.
My interest is with single tank recreational divers.

I wonder if a better solution might be to add a cushioned layer along the lower edge of the standard BP. This would allow distributing some of the weight to the hips without the pain.

Go with the Small SS plate. You say that it's only down side is travel. That is not exactly accurate. When I travel and dive recreationally all I carry is my SS BPW. All of my dive gear fits in a single carry on bag. I would say the SS BP would be well worth it..

I wonder if a better solution might be to add a cushioned layer along the lower edge of the standard BP. This would allow distributing some of the weight to the hips without the pain.

Doubt that would work. With a standard size plate it sits too low on me. Belt on hips. Had to get the short plate for belt to be at waist.

It really can be a function of length and no amount of cushion will help.

I also have a small AL Halcyon plate, but there are a couple of other short plates that haven't been mentioned. xDeep makes a couple of different short bp's. She/you can also put in her height and diving requirements into a BC advisor tool about half way down the page to choose a suitable system:

SCUBA Diving Equipment, dive gear, sidemount, wing BCDs - XDEEP

UTD also came out with a bp that fits petite people, but I don't recall which system it was or if it also came in aluminum. You can check if you'd like: Cross Over Alpha/Delta System for Backmount or Side Mount Diving · UTD Scuba Diving

Back
Top Bottom