Size small aluminum backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m sure this has been asked already so sorry I’m advance. I am looking at getting my girlfriend a backplate that actually fits her. She is about 5’1” on a good day and very small build. A standard backplate litteraly take up her whole back and she find the bottom of the plate digs into her lower back when standing/sitting out of the water especially with doubles. It was mentioned to me that there are some size small backplates out there but I have noticed there hard to come by. Seems DSS is not making them anymore Oxcheq only makes stainless or the plastic hybrid thing that I’m not to sure about especially for doubles. All I have found is that Halcyon makes an aluminum size small but it’s about twice the price of a regular backplate.

Does anyone know of another manufacturer that makes size small aluminum (we travel a lot and mostly just dive warm water SS is not very travel friendly) backplate?

Thanks

Go with the Halycon. I recently got one. Makes a huge difference to me. Worth every penny.

ETA: DSS also made a Kydex carbon fiber BP in small. I think Northeast Scuba Supply might still have them. A friend got one last week.

18E57E5D-DE59-4560-9A25-51530284EAEF.jpeg

This can be requested in aluminum and does not dig. Freedom contour by Eric and there is a waiting list for him to make them in between his trying to survive california wildfires.
Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

What I suggest is to find a cheap full size standard aluminum doubles plate in a long (16”) pattern and make your own. Cut off the bottom and re-cut the waist slots where you want them, drill a bottom wing hole if you need to. Aluminum is soft and easy to work. If the plate is for doubles only make sure you get one with a steep bend, the threaded rods will be shorter on the tanks and won’t need to span a long distance.

Not exactly. I made a bracket for mine out of Aluminum rectangular tubing to adapt mine to doubles. The design is more of a hack than an elegant market-ready product, but the Freedom Plate is great on doubles.
Well yes, I know you adapted your plate. You also have a full machine shop in your basement and a lot of know how. I’m speaking for the general public and stating that the FP is “officially” a single tank only plate (at this time). If someone want’s to go out on their own and tinker that’s great, but it’s not something that’s available through me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom