Six year old Snorkler killed by 13yo boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Condolences to the family. This really sucks.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/30/boater.death/index.html

KEY WEST, Florida (AP) -- A 13-year-old boater was arrested Monday after authorities said he hit and killed a 6-year-old snorkeler, then sped away.

The 6-year-old was snorkeling off Key West with his father and a sibling next to their 22-foot motorboat when he was struck, said Lt. Steve Acton of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

An 18-foot skiff sped over the boy, then crashed into his father's vessel, causing it to sink. The driver paused momentarily before taking off, Acton said.

Authorities found the skiff tied to a dock at a home and arrested the 13-year-old driver. He will be charged with failing to report the accident, failure to remain on scene and may face vessel homicide charges, Acton said.

It was unclear whether he would be charged as a juvenile or an adult.

"It was obvious from what witnesses said that he knew he had run over a boat," Acton said. "It's possible he may not have known that he'd run over the boy, but he should have stopped and checked."

The 6-year-old was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Another teen aboard the skiff was injured, authorities said. The teen checked into an emergency room, where staff noticed his injuries and alerted investigators, Acton said. The extent of his injuries was unclear.

In Florida, anyone under 21 must pass an approved boater safety course or have an adult onboard to operate a vessel with at least 10 horsepower, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Web site.

It was unclear whether the 13-year-old met the requirements.

My condolences also to the family.

At Venice beach this weekend I watched as 2 jetskis did a slalom between the dive flags, actually hitting some of them.

When I first came to FL, I took a boater safety course. They would have completely skipped over the dive flag section had I not raised my hand in the class. There's far too many unqualifed boaters on the water, and the state is doing next to nothing to change that.

I would rather see the boy tried as a juvenile and the parents charged as well.

How does an 18' "skiff" run into a 22' "motorboat" sink it, and run? There had to be significant damage to the offending boat.

I just saw that on CNN, how utterly senseless and tragic. My heart goes out to the families.

It's almost rare to not see something like that at VB on any given weekend during the summer. I've seen 30'+ boats hit diving flags at cruising speeds where the diver is in maybe 15' of water.

I really hate the fact that anyone can get behind the wheel of a boat here in Florida.

frogman_5:
At Venice beach this weekend I watched as 2 jetskis did a slalom between the dive flags, actually hitting some of them.

So many cautions to take away from this very sad incident... Since few details offered I wouldn't want to speculate on what could have be done differently, but my heart goes out to this family that was out for a fun time and instead ended up with an inspeakable tragedy.

In Florida, anyone under 21 must pass an approved boater safety course or have an adult onboard to operate a vessel with at least 10 horsepower, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Web site.

It was unclear whether the 13-year-old met the requirements.

Allowing a 13 year old to operate a vessel unsupervised that would go fast enough to sink another vessel in a crash is just poor parenting. Even worse is the State Legislature allows it.

Do you not have to have a "vessel" endorsement on your drivers license to drive a boat in Florida?

Many states require that now. Where I live you have to take a boater license test or pass the boater safety class to get the endorsement on your license.

A problem we see with "youthfull" boaters is that you have 12 to 14 year olds out there going 70mph on a jet ski and have no clue what they are doing.

In the above story, I think they should arrest the kids parents also.

Was out diving and snorkeling this weekend and Capt Budweiser was really having a go at it, tavernier creek looked like i-95 and happy hour combined(upper Keys)

Wow, that is tragic, and sad for all involved.

I have to question the logic behind allowing minors or maybe people under the age of 16 to operate a power boat without adult supervision.

My thoughts go out to the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom