Six Sharks at Makena Caverns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug, wasn't it you that provided local guide services to Brady Barr and Nick for the National Geographic Dangerous Encounters episode in these caverns?

Nearly bought that DVD, just for the laughs when Brady starts hysterical hyperventilation in his full face mask trying to make 3 timid white tips seem dangerous to 4 full size divers with cameras, lights and the sample spear!

Hey Steve,

Yeah, that was me. National Geographic brought out a crew of 6 guys. I ran the logistics for their diving. We got lucky and had great conditions three straight days in mid whale season. Used Torpedo scooters to shuttle stuff out to the caves and back. It was fun doing it.

Yes, Brady does get worked up, especially with the octopus!! That's Hollywood! I must admit, I had to laugh out loud when I saw the scene on TV. Of course, I told all my friends and family to watch it too so they all got a good laugh from it.

We spent over two hours inside the Bubble Cave during one of the shoots. We were lucky it was so calm because it can be a pressure cooker in there some days as I'm sure you know.

It was a big break for my company to be part of National Geographic Television. If you watch the show, and look very closely, you can actually see a Shaka Divers sticker on Brady's weight belt buckle! Other than that, I really didn't get much credit on the show but like I said, it was fun to be a part of it and I made some really cool friends from it too! Like Nick and Brady and Snuba Steve!!

Hey Shark-house Steve (and Jeff and Doug and Leesa). Was just talking to the librarian here and she told me there was a whitetip thread on Scubaboard that I should check out. She's always right!

:rofl3:

:no

For an obvious shark connoisseur, and someone with the following quote in his sig line;

Your command of the keyboard is supprisingly lame. :confused:

Hale is home or house in Hawaiian, and mano is shark (although the o needs a macron to be completely correct).

If that's too hard to type, you can call me Steve. :D

Well Mr. halemano, I will have you know that my Hawai'i vocabulary is very limited but, both hale and mano are in there. It is my feckless, old fingers, thick glasses and wandering memory that keep me from successful typing as I once did back in the day before I was a kupuna.......

I patently refuse to call anyone merely Steve who has the ScubaBoard screen sobriquet of halemano.

BTW does "momo" have a meaning in Hawai'ian that can be used in polite company?

Of course I won't mention your spelling of the common English word "surprisingly." I know you did that on purpose just to make sure I was on my ancient toes.

Oh, also check the proper spelling of Hawai'ian.:D <=== a smiling and, gloating geezer.

Mahalo and, I hope to meet you in the Islands where we can talk some story and down a few beers,

Jeff

So as usual, after a friendly correction, I yahoo'd a bit to check spelling, which would have led me to think I am in the right. Check the State of Hawai'i web site to see Hawaii over and over and over and over. At least the fifth one is Hawai'i. :shakehead:

Not understanding the government (not the first time), I whipped out my New Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary. Although the title page and copy page use Hawaii, the actual dictionary entry is Hawai'i. In Hawaiian however, I have yet to see any quality reference use '. :eyebrow:

Spellcheck helps us less out here, but that's not surprising! Momo has no Hawaiian meaning in my dictionary.

The beers sound good, maybe even after diving. :cheers:

Hey Shark-house Steve (and Jeff and Doug and Leesa). Was just talking to the librarian here and she told me there was a whitetip thread on Scubaboard that I should check out. She's always right!

Thanks to all of you for taking great photos (Steve) and steering them in my direction (Jeff and Doug). Doug - what's up with that four-minute lag time though? Let's try to improve that next time!

Steve - these are some of the clearest pics I've seen from the Makena area - beautiful! We've ID'd over 22 individual whitetips from the Makena/Puu Olai area and have yet to see any overlap between them and the 70 or so sharks we've ID'd at Molokini. Pretty interesting stuff.

Anyway, we'd love to include your photos in our database if it's okay with you and if you could provide the date (looks like June 1, 2008). Sorry if I didn't get back to you before. I'm sure I have your website info somewhere in a stack of information to go back and incorporate into the database, but if you could post it for me again I'd appreciate it.

I knew those librarians were good for something! :D

There are probably a couple of the other shots that are useable, I'll PM you later about the pics. Not sure about the copy protection of this board, but I think I would have to change a setting on my web site pages.

halemano : photos : Makena Caverns- powered by SmugMug

I have not got these most recent pics on any other web page yet, but here is a page with the shark from the first picture here (wrasse cleaning), last october. Had a hook back then, didn't see it this time.

Aloha Shaka Doug and halemano:

I am directing Trixxie over to you guys. The lady would like to dive with both mantas and sharks. I thought of you two immediately.

Mahalo,

Jeff = SSharkk

Right or wrong, I know you as Halemano and Your Makena Cave's sharks are beautiful. I'm green I wasn't ,with you. Alaska is too dry for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom