Six Gill experiences anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Fellow West Coasters!

I have received a query from an overseas friend who is interested in videoing the wonderful but elusive Six Gill shark later this year.

Has anyone here had a recent dive with Six Gills in BC? From what I've read, they're rarely seen in diveable shallows and the season is very short.

Thanks

Hello Fellow West Coasters!

I have received a query from an overseas friend who is interested in videoing the wonderful but elusive Six Gill shark later this year.

Has anyone here had a recent dive with Six Gills in BC? From what I've read, they're rarely seen in diveable shallows and the season is very short.

Thanks
Thasis BC on Vancouver Island has frequent sightings from what I am told. I am still waiting for the time to see for myself.

I am still waiting for the time to see for myself.

Hey Dave you're not the only one, you got more chance of seeing the bigfoot riding a unicorn in the wood.

We get some sighting in the Saanich Inlet, but for some reason everytime someone sees one I'm not around or in the water, I will always remember the time I was at Henderson Point and this new diver come out with his buddy and were taking about seeing this 8 ft long sixgill in 50ft of water, I had to ask him how many dive did he had and he responded that was his 5th dive since being certified. The lucky bastard doesn't know how close he was to becoming fish bait.:D So pretty much is all about being there at the right place and at the right time.

Al

Last edited:
From what I understand the West Coast of the Island -Tahsis, like Dave mentioned or, from rumours Quatsino Inlet further north- have a fair number of sightings. It might be best to try Washington State as there seem to be more reports coming out of that area in the last few years. I know Hornby hasn't been as lucky for sightings as it once was. It seems that July-September is the best time for sightings.

I had an encounter late last July at Whytecliff, but I wouldn't hang around there waiting for one to show up! Like others have said, it's mostly about luck!!

There is an outfit that dives out of Seattle that specializes in Six Gill dives. I am sure they will be at the Dive and Travel Expo in Tacoma this month (25&26 April). I was interested in these dives also until I saw the price. I could spend a week on a liveaboard for what they were charging but then again they know where these guys hang out. It is cage night diving in the Puget Sound and to hear them tell it they see them on a regular basis. They have some fascinating video.

Too bad it's later in the year. Tahtsa Charters up in Nootka Sound are currently offering a price of $100 each for groups of six divers or more, which would save a few bucks if you were going looking for the six gills now.

Special Dive Offers For Diving in British Columbia

Apparently you can step off their dock for a night dive and encounter the sharks on a fairly regular basis. You call call Scott or Jude to see when the best time is?

If you do, tell them Paul from CoolDives says hello.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom