Situations a BP/W may not be preferred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tankboygreg

Contributor
Reaction score
I like the Hogarthian equipment configuration and will probably adopt it over time. However, I can think of two situations in which I would prefer a jacket BC. The first is when diving from a kayak. It seems like a jacket would be easier to get in and out of on the surface. Just inflate, throw in the water and climb in. The other situation would be when exiting rough surf. It seems A jacket would put you in a better position to ride a wave in, that is, head up. Also if it is a rocky exit the jacket would provide some extra protection when a wave manages to toss you against the rocks. What are your thoughts? Any other situations?

Did you ever do the drill where you ride the bc and tank and then let yourself slide into the bc? That would help on using a kayak.

all back inflate Bc's you can reposition weight and change how you'll sit on the surface. There's even a new Back inflate bc with a manual inflate bladder on the front to deal with the issue that is easier to fix with trial and error.

The only 2 things I can point out about BP/W problems are...constantly explaining to new divers "what that thing is." and the other is discomfort walking topside without any padding. One is fixed by a smile and letting people see them and the other is a wetsuit, carrying the rig to the water or buying a pad and putting it on there.

I think someone in another post said to the affect...that awkward feeling will change to comfort with time and practice.

tankboygreg:
What are your thoughts?

My thought is you actually need to try a BP/W before you make these assertions.

My experience is in shore diving and kayak diving, diving with the old horshoe BC and jacket BCs. Now I'm asking for other peoples experiences with a BP/W in these situations. Tell me I'm wrong and how I am wrong. Or should I just accept BP/W is perfect for every diving situation?

I don't have any experience with surf, but I have dived from a Zodiac, and getting in and out of the BP/W wasn't a problem.

I haven't dove (doven?) off a kayak...but I have done BC removal drills with my BP/W. It just seem like you can do the same thing, you can just inflate it, let it float, jump in. then put it on. We did a drill where we just took off our BC on the surface and floated with it, then put it back on as you would another BC (I did this with jacket also). We also removed it at depth, held onto our tanks with our hands, and swam around. It wasn't really a problem, so I think you'll be A-OK.

-Francis

Good to see you thinking about this, here are my responses:

1) The kayak thing: inflate the wing, toss it in the water and put it on. Everyone seems to think getting in/out of the harness is a difficult endevour, but with a little practice it becomes fairly easy (unless you, uh, forget to disconnect your drysuit hose).

2) Surf. I'm speaking as someone that has spent a lot of time riding waves, on boards, on my belly, sometimes inside them with a board washing around . . . I don't see how a jacket BC is going to keep your head up. You mention "riding" waves in, I do that belly-down, with my head back and up. If I am in scuba gear, I'd have my reg in my mouth. If I really, really, wanted to ride a wave in scuba gear, I'd want to be as streamlined as possible. So, I just don't see how a regular BC would be better here-unless you are thinking of it as a life preserver that keeps your head upright (which neither a BC or a BP/W really should be relied upon to do).

3) You mention rocky exits as well. If you are going to need padding on the off chance of getting pounded on rocks getting out in surf (something I also have experience with) I think you'd need more than what a regular BC can offer. Padding necessarily equals buoyancy as well . . . so if you have a padded BC that would really protect you from rocks, you'd also have a ton of extra weight on you. Extra weight makes it more likely you are gonna slip . . . maybe a football helmet would be a good idea as well. I'll take my chances with the occasional rocky exit in exchange for a system that works well where it is supposed to, under water. Careful observation and planning should get you out of the water okay.

Good questions, these are my two cents.

I'll be devil's advocate. I've dove back plate and wing for over 10 years primarily with doubles for cave dives. When I am not diving this configuration and return to some open water diving I look forward to the comfort and freedom I get from my BC. I still follow the Hogarthian attitude,but apply it to my BC.

dsteding:
3) You mention rocky exits as well. If you are going to need padding on the off chance of getting pounded on rocks getting out in surf (something I also have experience with) I think you'd need more than what a regular BC can offer. Padding necessarily equals buoyancy as well . . . so if you have a padded BC that would really protect you from rocks, you'd also have a ton of extra weight on you. Extra weight makes it more likely you are gonna slip . . . maybe a football helmet would be a good idea as well. I'll take my chances with the occasional rocky exit in exchange for a system that works well where it is supposed to, under water. Careful observation and planning should get you out of the water okay.

I was thinking more along the lines that a heavy denier jacket partially inflated would provide some "padding".

If the most dangerous part of your dive is the exit, could you minimize the risks within the bounds of the equipment configuration?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom