SiTech or Diving Concepts Dry Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

codecruncher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just bought a dry suit w/ latex wrist seals and am looking for pros/cons on these two dry glove systems.

They seem pretty similar from what I can tell.

Do the o-rings on the diving concepts really stay on vs. the insert & twist style of the si-tech?

Are the cheap gloves compatible with both systems? (Atlas 495s or 720s from seattle marine)

Is either system easier on the existing latex seal to mount/unmount (would hate to rip that up trying to get the cuff mounted).

I assume with both systems, folks tend to just leave the cuff's mounted on the latex seals all the time? Or is that too hard on the seal in the same spot all the time and so you mount it for dive days, but remove later?

What should I expect to pay for each?

The dry gloves run about $200 all in, and are somewhat of a pain to install-both initially installing the rings, and at the divesite. You'll probably have your buddy help you don them. The atlas gloves will work, but you'll need to glue the seals on before using, or carefully cut the liners out.
Some people who I dive with just keep the gloves on and work around them. They do get funky smells from them after awhile though.

Try these instead. http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/dry_comfort.html
I've been using them for awhile now and love them. You can install them under your wrist seals like a dryglove (and they are dry with no squeeze), or just wear them like wet gloves, in which case there is no water exchange and your hands stay relatively dry-and warmer than wet gloves. They run about $40/pr.

I haven't used either system you are asking about, but I dive with people who do. I'm the only person I know who hasn't had a glove flood.

I use the Viking bayonet ring system. I can install the rings on a suit in less than five minutes, and the gloves (I use Atlas 600s) on their half of the ring in about the same amount of time. It's a positive lock system, and I can easily get in and out of my gloves without assistance. The rings are ridiculously expensive at $165 through my LDS, but I like the system well enough that I just put it in my second dry suit.

I've been using the DC gloves for two weekends now. I love them. They took about 30 minutes to install (25 minutes for the first ring, 5 for the second)...the learning curve was steep but the directions (with pictures!) were nice. I can very easily put my gloves on and take them off myself. My hands are warm and dry.

DC here... no problems... for refills get the unlined ones from Fishing supply places (seattle fishing supply for one) and DIY with some A clamps.... believe me a whole lot cheaper

I use the SI Tech system, and it works fine. At first, I had a couple times where the o-ring didn't stay in its groove when I put them on and I had a small leak. It was quickly identified and remedied in the water.

As for gloves, the Atlas gloves work great. One thing to note: the 495s are bulkier than the 600s, the 620s or the 490s because they are designed to be used with the bulky liner that comes with them. I went with 620s instead, and use a thinner wool liner from my army surplus store. Much better dexterity than with the 495s.

I use the DC system. It can be tricky learning to install the rings on the gloves and the suit, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

Putting the gloves on after suiting up is stupid easy. They snap right on and snap right off. I can't imagine needing a buddy's help to get them on and off.

I have a scitec-5 system I'll sell you. If you have big hands, IT WILL NOT WORK. Simple as that. It also has a whole bunch of failure points. Unless everything is perfect, it will leak. Not something I'd trust on a deep dive where you have big deco obligations. I have a Viking system now. The kind where you pull the glove over a few rings. A few dives in and my hands are dry every time. No more blood letting from trying to get past the scitecks rings. No more leaks from an o-ring that didn't seat quite right. Nope, that can't be fixed in the water. Once it leaks, your done. Can't speak for the DC stuff. I have a Z-Flex suit and it really works great. Given a choice I would lean towards thier gloves as I know the Scitec's are, to put it nicely, not a good value.

Jim

SwimJim...I don´t want to get confrontational but I suggest your problems are due to user error...I have a friend with "dinner plate sized hands" that use the si-tech´s without issue...

I did a few dives with my si-techs with little wrinkles in the gloves- they leaked. Once I redid them correctly they don´t...I do decodives with them but just as I´m prepared if my drysuit were to start leaking I know I can handle a leak in the drygloves, otherwise you shouldn´t do those dives...

ymmv...

I have been using the DC neo gloves for 2 years and I love them. I can put them on easy but I need a buddy to get them off. I too was concerned about them popping off while diving - not a chance. I hold the suit side "lip" of the cuff system while a buddy pulls on the glove side "lip" (plastic ring/cuff) and with a decent force they pop off. Mine were $190 installed. The dive shop owner did it in about 10 minutes while I waited.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom