Sisal rope?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangguy327

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to buy sisal rope for my upline, and can't find it longer than 100'

If I tie lengths together it seems like it could be a snag waiting to happen, how do you do it?

Btw, 1/4" rope is what you use right?

Look online, and not at home depot. You'll find big long spools.

best to buy a big box, the occassional dive shop may stock, but rare to find. In a pinch you can splice in a section and does not snag and winds fairly smoothly. Personnaly I have switched to a smaller reel that I fill with 1/8" nylon line for my upline (a wreck reel works too).

The problem with sisal is that it rots on your reel and you just never know. I've had too many untimed breaks that put me in a bad spot.

Jeff

best to buy a big box, the occassional dive shop may stock, but rare to find. In a pinch you can splice in a section and does not snag and winds fairly smoothly. Personnaly I have switched to a smaller reel that I fill with 1/8" nylon line for my upline (a wreck reel works too).

The problem with sisal is that it rots on your reel and you just never know. I've had too many untimed breaks that put me in a bad spot.

Jeff

If you use nylon line do you try to rewind it after you use it, or just cut it off like sisal? I imagine that if everyone used nylon, the ocean would eventually be littered with rope...

Opinions have changed on this over the years...

Sisal was considered the way to go as it biodegraded fairly quickly. Of course the problme is that unless you take it off the spool after every dive day/trip, it biodegrades on the spool, and can fail when you really need it to prevent you from drifting off a wreck. And there are places you really do not want to do that.

Current thinking is to use smaller nylon line. With a breaking strength around 500 pounds, 1/8" nylon will be strong hold you in a current (and if not, your bag will never make the surface anyway) Plus it won't rot like Sisal. You'd shoot an upline the same way with it, then cut the bag loose at the surface and leave the rope. Over time, there may be more rope on the bottom, but there are most likely already tons of nylon nets.

You can get braided nylon on a 1000' spool for around $100 and that will cover several uses - and given that it is usually a SHTF could not get back to the anchor line procedure, that 1000' should last you a long time. If not, you need to rethink your dive planning or execution.

I am so glad to see the posts regarding sisal rotting on the spools. You'll see so many northeast wreck divers proudly wearing these oversized uplines, neatly wrapped with rope. The reason they chose sisal is that it is supposed to biodegrade, but of course that takes a decade or more in the ocean - look at any old anchor line or fishing net out there! But more importantly, since they have chosen a self-rotting product, unless they completely unspool the reel after every weekend of diving and dry it and store it dry, then of course the decomposition process is taking place right there on the spool. So the first time they go to use it, they tie off, get 20 ft or so off the wreck, and then 'snap', there goes the rotten line. Now we're screwed!

As a poster already noted, just use 1/8" nylon off your penetration reel which you should already have clipped on your kit. The ocean won't fill up with old lines! And you can rest a bit more assured that you'll enjoy a safer ascent. Even better, use that reel to navigate your way back to the anchor, and you'll never need an upline again!

The nylon upline is strictly for emergencies; the anchor pulled free or no time to get there. Nylon is not for sending up artifacts, for that I still use sisal.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom