Sipadan, Palau or Bohol?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

Dove in Sipadan in June 2002 for 5 days in June 2002 - after getting certified on the Perhentian Islands + one dive (the local wreck). Stayed in the Borneo divers place and loved it. Absolutely fabulous diving - I have never seen anything like it. Including Alona Beach on Bohol, where I was for a few days last year in July.

Accomodation is definitely better (more choice) on Bohol, stayed in the Alona Kew as well, but the diving really doesn't compare. Basicalag has great walls, but pales in comparison to let's say Hanging Gardens on Sipadan. Okay it got the jacks but saw them at Sipadan as well, and the barracudas, and the sharks, turtles etc are not the most common in the Phils (all eaten I guess). Nothing beats the beach diving experience on Sipadan - you get unlimited beach dives and the drop-off (2000 feet wall) is directly off the beach, say 15 meters. I liked the food on Sipadan but did 4 to 5 dives a day - I would have eaten anything.

Three dives a day will set you back around USD 50 in Bohol, accomodation is maybe USD 30 per day per person for something really nice. Sipadan comes with unlimited diving (3 boat dives a day and unlimited beach diving) but will be more expensive, we paid the walk-in rate of ~USD 110 per day all-in.

To me, Sipadan is the best place I have dived yet (Visayas, Perhentians, South Red Sea) the setting and diving are just amazing, but I understand Pulau Weh may challenge this so that is next on the list...

Please send me a message if you want more info, I'd be happy to update you.

regards,

Arjan :eyebrow:

I have been to all three and if it is non-diving activities but the possibility of snorkelling then in my opinion that rules Palau out. On Sipadan one can snorkel easily but there is not much else to do but wander the small island. Bohol is good diving but not of Sipadan or Palau caliber but there are fine snorkeling possibilities and other things to do on the island. :11ztongue

on Bohol , at this period, moonsoon. I would suggest that you be ready to just hang around the beach or take on surfing if you are going to bohol, as typhoons are frequent during this time of the year.

i would have to agree with majority of the posts on this thread. palau and sipadan diving is definitely not in the same league as diving in bohol. but don't mistake me, bohol diving (especially balicasag) is really really good. i'm biased towards bohol because i'm from the country, but there will be plenty to do aside from dive. plenty of people visit bohol and don't even dive! the sand at alona is amazingly soft. there are plenty of inland tours you can go on. there is a wide range of resorts you can choose from, from the spartan to the almost luxurious. plus everything will be cheaper, food, transport, diving. palau is very expensive, and (i believe) sipadan is quite expensive also. where ever you choose to go, enjoy!!

MABUHAY! awesome cite to view since we're planning to visit BOHOL as well with a budget for diving and AC accommodation. I guess ALONA strip would be the best to stay in and also have a bit of a nightlife? Any suggestions on what resort/hotel to stay in? Midrange. We're planning to stay for a week. and head to Cebu or vice-versa-
thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom