Sipadan dives OW or AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was there in December . Stayed at SWV have got my AOW though realitivley inexperinced with only 28 dives under my belt didnt think the conditions were to challenging though be prepared for the drift dives. The wall dives there are something else and Barracuda point is breeming with Barracuda(suprising) , Fish and turtles. Youll have a great time enjoy!!!

Just got back yesterday. Malaysian diving was fantastic & Sipadan was phenominal! I could never imaging so many fish & in so many different colors! We got to do 16 dives around Sipadan (4dives/ day on 4 different days). I did a total of 42 dives over the 9 diving days we had. It made that 40hrs of traveling well worth it. Makes me wish I didn't have to go back home.

Tammy - that's fantastic. Look forward to a full report with all the fish named !!!

Im gearing up for my triip in less than 2 weeks. Really looking forward to the action. Anyone have any tips on wetsuit use? We use 5mm down here in Oz but I hear water temps are much warmer. Anyone care to add what they used whilst over in Sipadan? Im thinking of using a rash vest if there is no need for a thin wetsuit.

Im gearing up for my triip in less than 2 weeks. Really looking forward to the action. Anyone have any tips on wetsuit use? We use 5mm down here in Oz but I hear water temps are much warmer. Anyone care to add what they used whilst over in Sipadan? Im thinking of using a rash vest if there is no need for a thin wetsuit.

Hi,

I'm usually diving in a rashie.. if you are one that gets chilled relatively quick, a 0.5mm or 3mm is recommended.. :blinking:

I used to work diving Sipidan. The normal practise was to do photo and/or deep adventure dives at Sipidan, following prior dives at Mabul/Kapalai where you can work on things like navigation and ppb.

Sipidan is an amazing dive... but you need to be realistic about your experience level when you dive there. No reason not to go...just stay nice and close to the divemaster!

Take your camera there for sure.... you'll never see so many turtles, barracuda, humphead parrotfish, white tip and grey reef sharks.... it is photo heaven.

By the time I get to Sipadan Im hoping to have clocked in 30 dives. Ive currently done 17. As a relative novice, Ive already done boat dives, wrecks, gone to depth of 21 m, encountered strong currents, penetrated reef limestone caves. So Ive been fairly rigorous with the learning curve. If I dont get a chance to do my advanced before I go, I might look into doing so when Im there. Any feedback on the courses run by SWV? I noticed they don't have a drift dive course, my local here doesn't either. Id like to hear more from all of you that have dived Sipadan. Thanks again.

If you're going to SWV, unless they've changed since I've been there, you'll find that there will be a DM/guide in the water with you on every dive. So you'll have the opportunity to stay with him/her if you feel uncomfortable. I mainly did anyway, since he was always finding more life than I could.

And at SWV, you can spend an entire 90 minute dive off the dock. Except for urchins (having to be VERY careful in shallows), it was actually its own incredible dive. During our check out dive (2 minutes to show basic competencies and then free to follow or just dive yourself) I saw 3 different types of anenomefish, a frog fish an ornate pipefish, lionfish, and several turtles. I did several dives off of the dock there when I didn't want to stick to the boat schedule. Easy, you'll love it.

Most of my friends were always looking for more trips to Sipadan, but I preferred Kapalai's sites myself so I always traded out. So if you get an early preference, you can often find a diver to swap with (or ask for a different boat going to the other location).

You'll love it, but a word of warning. By going here so early in your dive life, you'll be setting the bar awfully high to try and match in the future!!!!

I wore a 3mm the entire time, but was doing 4-5 dives/ day. By the end of our 10 days diving, I did start getting cool towards the end of the day near the end of the trip.

Sipidan is an amazing dive... but you need to be realistic about your experience level when you dive there. No reason not to go...just stay nice and close to the divemaster!

Take your camera there for sure.... you'll never see so many turtles, barracuda, humphead parrotfish, white tip and grey reef sharks.... it is photo heaven.

I would agree with staying with the dive master except in 1 case. The dive master of our boat took everyone into the turtle cavern. I am Intro to Cave trained; since I did not have the proper equipment (lights & reel) with me at the time & there were untrained people going in, I refused to go in & just hung out & waited at the mouth of the cavern & waited for them to return. I caught a lot of flack from my boat mates about not going in, because I was the only one who had the training:shakehead:. THAT WAS EXACTLY WHY I REFUSED TO GO IN. A few days later My cave instructor & I went in with lights & a cavern reel, to see the turtle skeletal remains. After calculating 3rd's & properly tying off at the entrance, we went in. I ran the reel the entire 140 ft & we were still not at the skeletons. Once again I waited, at the end of the reel. My instructor went on another 40- 50 ft to the skeletons, keeping me in sight at all times. Not entirely safe, but he knew the risks he was taking. He very quickly returned & we safely exited the cave. Yes, that is truly what it is,... a cave, the only thing that it had in common with a cavern was you could barely make out natural light from where the skeletons are. The skeletons were almost at 200 ft penetration. Cavern (by standards) only allows 130 linear ft from the surface & the cave entrance was at 65ft. Once on the surface my instructor commented on how incredibly dangerous it was for the dive master to take so many (or any) untrained diver in while being untrained himself. They had no real idea of their peril. OK, off my soap box now......

Sipadan is beautiful & magical, enjoy it to the fullest! I was completely amazed. Yes, do follow the dive master closely if you do not feel secure & make sure that he/she understands your concerns concerning experience. Like I mentioned above, please DO NOT go into that cave unless you've had the training to do so. There is nothing in there worth your life to see.

You'll love it, but a word of warning. By going here so early in your dive life, you'll be setting the bar awfully high to try and match in the future!!!!

Very true...it would be hard to match afterwards! :D

Believe it or not...I once had a chinese ow diver (8 logged dives) who was complaining afterwards that there wasn't much coral, few fish....and he didn't see 'Nemo'. Seriously....! :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom