Sinus Squeeze Prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver:
I can clear my ears just fine. It's my sinuses that are giving me problems. Mostly above the eyes.

I have had the same issue with my sinus above my lefy eye. My scuba doc informed me to take actifed before I dive. I no longer have the issue. PADI tells everyone not to take meds before diving however, you will notice that MANY divers are popping the pills before entering the water. Equalizing is also a factor and the more you dive the easier it will be. The above works for me however each one of us is different. Check with your Doc. Also, Is your mask to tight?

This may be an oversimplification, but I'm wondering what you're doing when you're exhaling on your descent. It's a possiblility you may have a little mask squeeze going on there. Are your eyes red after a dive? when you equalize your ears and sinuses, equalize your mask too. Makes for a much more comfortable dive and mask squeeze can put some pressure above your eyes that can give you a dull kinda headache. I'm probably all wet (I usually am) but thought I'd mention it.

BKB

I had similar problems when I first started. Went to an ENT who put me on a steroid spray and a mucus thinner. After a few months I didn't need them any more. It also helps to begin equalizing before you get in the water - the more often you *gently* do it over time, the more open the passages seem to get IMHO ...

the sharkman:
I have some minor discomfort after diving too. My discomfort is in my ears. No pain, however I feel a little like my head is in a bucket (like my ears won't pressurize/ depressurize). It always takes about 16-24 hrs to clear up. Finding a "diving" doctor is difficult, so I have yet to have it diagnosed.
DAN might be able to refer you to an ENT in your area familiar with diving. My wife had a similar issue, and the DAN refered doctor was great.

Besides the usual drugs like psuedoephedrine(decongestant) and guaifenesin(mucous thinner) there is another age old technique that works quite well Sinus Irrigation.

Mix 1 teaspoon sea salt,and 1 teaspoon baking soda in 500 ml (2 cups) of warm water.

Using one of those rubber baby ear bulbs or some equivalent tilt your head back and to the side start filing through the nostril til it overflows,tilt your head down over a sink and let the drainage begin,don't blow your nose hard,repeat on the other side.

It's amazing how much clearer ones head will feel,I've read this should be done only once per day.
There is lots of internet info on this.

If it is not a medical condition, you might want to try a netti bottle.

Basically, you are pouring warm salt water up into one nostril and allowing it to pour out the other. This clears out your sinus' very well, but takes some getting used to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom