Sinus bleeding after dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll see if I can find it online. We don't have any book stores where I am at.

Thanks!

Bleeding from the nose indicates damage to the mucosa of the nose or sinuses. This lining is fairly fragile, and overvigorous efforts at clearing can damage it. In addition, if your sinuses are congested and the openings to them (ostia) are partially blocked, you can develop enough of a vacuum in the sinus to cause the small blood vessels to burst. Any of these things can result in a nosebleed, but if you were still expelling clots several days later, it's highly likely that you had blood in your sinuses (or that whatever damage you did, you kept aggravating by sneezing or blowing).

The presence of blood in the sinus is not necessarily a contraindication to diving, but if the problem that led to the bleeding in the first place hasn't resolved, more diving will make it worse. Blood in the sinuses is a risk factor for infection, but there isn't very much you can do about it, once it is there, and diving really isn't going to make infection more likely, unless you blow a lot of contaminated water up into the sinus. Remember, nothing about the aerodigestive tract is sterile to begin with!

If you haven't typically had problems with your sinuses and you otherwise feel well, I don't think there'd be a big issue with a cautious trial of descent. If you can equalize easily and have no sinus pain, you should be fine.

Bleeding from the nose indicates damage to the mucosa of the nose or sinuses. This lining is fairly fragile, and overvigorous efforts at clearing can damage it. In addition, if your sinuses are congested and the openings to them (ostia) are partially blocked, you can develop enough of a vacuum in the sinus to cause the small blood vessels to burst. Any of these things can result in a nosebleed, but if you were still expelling clots several days later, it's highly likely that you had blood in your sinuses (or that whatever damage you did, you kept aggravating by sneezing or blowing).

The presence of blood in the sinus is not necessarily a contraindication to diving, but if the problem that led to the bleeding in the first place hasn't resolved, more diving will make it worse. Blood in the sinuses is a risk factor for infection, but there isn't very much you can do about it, once it is there, and diving really isn't going to make infection more likely, unless you blow a lot of contaminated water up into the sinus. Remember, nothing about the aerodigestive tract is sterile to begin with!

If you haven't typically had problems with your sinuses and you otherwise feel well, I don't think there'd be a big issue with a cautious trial of descent. If you can equalize easily and have no sinus pain, you should be fine.

Thanks, that answer makes perfect sense.

Auen, it would help if you completed your profile. So many were telling you to call DAN and they didn't even know if you were on the same continent. They should should have asked, but anyway...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom