Single Travel to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mattboy,

Wife and I will be there 1-14---18. Staying in town. If those are your dates We can go to a cantina I was just turned on to last week when I was there. Its on calle3 sur and either 20 or 25th. $1.50 beer and free food.

Lou

Only been to Cozumel once, just returned last week. Can't say much about other dive ops.

We stayed at Scuba Club for 10 days. There were several single divers there. Even a few single female divers. (Single, as in "no dive partner.")

Since it is all drift diving, everyone stays in a big group anyway.

Scuba Club is walking distance from downtown - maybe a 7-minute walk. Barracuda is only a block closer to downtown than Scuba Club.

Go for it!

Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to try to set up a trip for mid-Feb. This is a great group of people!

(Single, as in "no dive partner.") After I posted I realized that "single" might be taken the wrong way for this married but no dive partner diver. :) I am glad you all got that. :)

jmps,

Go to www.USA3000.com if you don't mind flying into cancun, $290 including tax, 2-12 till-2-19, bus $7 about and hour ride on a modern tour bus, ferry $11 each way Min, and your in Coz. They have the cheapest fare right now. I've done the Cancun-Coz trip many times and it really is not bad. If you have many bags or heavy ones just a couple bucks gets you a porter at the airport and again from the bus to the ferry (2 short blocks). Or check out the funjet charter from Milwaukee to Coz on Fridays, starting Feb 10, $390 but direct into Coz. 7 night trip only.
Let me know if your trip is anywhere from 2-11-06 to 2-18-06 The wife and I will be there but she is a land lover so I'm a single diver also. I dive with www.bottomtimedivers.net Raul has a six-pack and we can show you some great dives. He also keeps your gear after the dives so you don't have to lug it every day.

Lou

Lou,

That might be the week I can get down there so we may be able to hook up for diving. My wife doesn't dive either. I am trying to get her interested. My daughter is certified but she will be in school. I'll let you know when I can. Remember that I am not real experienced though if that is OK.

Thanks,

John

loudives:
jmps,

Go to www.USA3000.com if you don't mind flying into cancun, $290 including tax, 2-12 till-2-19, bus $7 about and hour ride on a modern tour bus, ferry $11 each way Min, and your in Coz. They have the cheapest fare right now. I've done the Cancun-Coz trip many times and it really is not bad. If you have many bags or heavy ones just a couple bucks gets you a porter at the airport and again from the bus to the ferry (2 short blocks). Or check out the funjet charter from Milwaukee to Coz on Fridays, starting Feb 10, $390 but direct into Coz. 7 night trip only.
Let me know if your trip is anywhere from 2-11-06 to 2-18-06 The wife and I will be there but she is a land lover so I'm a single diver also. I dive with www.bottomtimedivers.net Raul has a six-pack and we can show you some great dives. He also keeps your gear after the dives so you don't have to lug it every day.

Lou

I've probably been to Coz as often (if not more so) by myself. And since my husband doesn't dive, I might as well consider myself diving alone, even when he comes. I usually stay "in town" meaning I've got to figure out how to get to the caletta each morning (not always as some places I've stayed in town drive me to a pick-up point, but assume the worst you'll need to do is get to a boat). That might mean a taxi ($2 or $3) or a bicycle ride (since lots of in-town places have bikes for guests, once I ditch the gear).

You can ALWAYS find someone to buddy dive with on a boat dive - the DM if no one else. On drift dives the boat is always there (well, nearly always) when you surface, even without the rest of the group. I shore dive by myself but you can usually find someone to do shore dives with if you want to (although I understand Post Wilma they aren't what they used to be).

I'd recommend that you find an op that will keep your gear for your between dives. There are lots out there. That minimizes your stress each morning hauling gear. Yes, there are ops that cater to newbies (and which are fairly safe to dive with) but I'd suggest something that will give you more "one-on-one" service. Just my preference. And a lot safer, in my point of view.

In terms of accommodation - there are tons in town (and I LOVE staying in town) for real reasonable rates. Let me know privately what you want to pay and I can give you some ideas.

In summary - don't worry about going alone. You will be fine.

Marg

Jmps, John

No problem with your experience level, I'm the kind of diver that if I can get wet I'm Happy. I got back from Coz on the 18th and 85' was the deep dive. We had a novice diver with us and Raul and I helped him with his buoyancy and dive mechanics so that after just 4 dives of 50' he was comfortable enough to go to 85. If you come down I don't mind the shallower dives. By that time all the dive operators will have been able to find the shallow reefs that are still in good shape. I will PM you.

Lou

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I was able to get a room at Caribe Blu for my stay. I hopefully will get to dive with Lou at least one day there. Gosh I can't wait to finally have this trip come off.

Back
Top Bottom