Single Travel to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My November LDS arranged group trip to Scuba Club was cancelled because of Wilma. I am contemplating a trip down to Cozumel for a week but I would have to go by myself. I am fairly newly certified and am interested in getting my AOW. That is what I was going to do on the start of the LDS trip.

What do you all recommend as the best place to stay? Downtown? I am looking at ScubawithAllison as the Dive Op because of feedback here. I am concerned about getting between downtown and the boat being cumbersome. What do you all think? I do travel solo a lot for work so I am used that but I don't want a hassle.

Thanks.

You might also want to consider Aqua Safari. Really a great instructor staff, and program, right in town, and they also have diving/lodging packages. Aqua Safari is regarded as one of the best "newbie"/certification shops here by many, they have a very good safety record. Have also heard good things about Allison...

Although your group trip to Scuba Club Cozumel got canceled out, why not go there on your own?

I've found SCC to be more enjoyable as a solo traveler than the more typical resort hotel. Virtually all of the SCC guests are either divers or are non-divers accompanying a diver. Around the property and in the restaurant you will see the familiar faces of the people you've been out diving with. Very pleasant, friendly atmosphere. It should be pretty easy to hook up with others for shore dives in front of the hotel.

They have an experienced group of divemasters and instructors for your AOW class.

just got back from my solo trip. stayed at hotel cozumel and resort. it's only about a mile and a half from down town. dove with dive paradise. everything was fine. booked thru bay adventures. a couple of years ago i dove with allison. she's very good. she doesn't like to pick up north of el cid hotel. i don't even know if that hotel is still open.
hope this helps geo

I have made a couple of solo trips to Cozumel and thoroughly enjoyed them both. I stayed at the Caribe Blu hotel and dove with the dive operation there called Blue Angel. Both worked out great for me but I was not taking any certification courses. Maybe others on this board can give opinions on their training abilities. The hotel is nice but basic. It is undergoing some repairs from storm damage now but is still open. It is about a 1 1/2 mile walk into town so you have to enjoy walking or take a cab. The dive operation usually works off the dock at the hotel but I hear that it using an adjacent dock while the repairs are being made.
There are many excellent options from which to choose and I am sure this board will provide several of them.
Good luck and enjoy the trip.

If you go with an operator who will keep your gear you only have to travel with it twice. So it won't matter about if you stay in a hotel/diveshop or not. I have found that a solo traveler seems to enjoy the small downtown hotels, $35-$80 a night, and all the little Catina's and shops. You have more things to do downtown after diving. Being farther down the coast you must take a taxis everywhere. First time in Cozumel you have to walk around and get the local flare hook up with others, don't be shy, talk to people on the street and in the Catina's.
Sunday nights in the main Plaza the entire island comes down for music and dancing, it's allot of fun.
If you do stay south of town make sure you speak up in and around the hotel grounds and meet people. I've had great conversations with divers and non-divers alike and have made new friends. The dive masters, boat captains, and your operator like to socialize also, make plans to meet with them at the watering hole of there choice and have a pleasant afternoon exchanging stories and getting the lowdown on where the best places to eat and drink for the least $. these people live there and know where to go. You will also be helping the local economy instead of the big corporate places.

Lou

Hello! Our Topeka Kansas group will be in Cozumel during Carnival Feb 22, 2006 thru March 4th. ALso the Kansas City group will be there. We stay at the Barracuda. I spoke with Guan and the Hotel pier will be done by then. We dive with dive Paradise and absolutely love them! We even get to pick where we want to go. We like the Barracuda because it is close to the square and the dive boat picks us up there every morning at 8:30. See web site at http://www.diveparadise.com/ We even go out as a group and party with a few dive masters! They know a lot of great places to eat (mostly locals and no cruise ship tourists).

Bluewaterdiva,

You will be surprised at the hotel! Since Wilma wiped out the dive shop, restaurant and the sand terrace, the hotel is rebuilding and installing a POOL. I asked the night clerk about the little man made cove and she did not know if they would rebuild that. My wife loved that little natural pool. The new pool is to be finished in 3 weeks.

Lou

I stayed at the Barracuda (I think it was that one) a couple of days after Emily until they got power back at village tankah. I did not like it so much; the AC just couldn't cut it, even after I switched rooms. OTOH, it is an oceanside hotel at a reasonable price, so I suppose I should quit whining. It's such a nice location we can hope that when they rebuild, they'll fix the little annoyances but keep the prices reasonable.

Oh yeah, I forgot the topic here...solo trips. I've done a few of them, got one coming right up, and I really like it. There are always people around to socialize with in the various joints around town, usually you'll meet some people diving to go for the occasional hang out, and there's plenty of peace and quiet for beach side reading or whatever if that's your thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom