Single Tank Wing recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a little looking and I'm seeing that Mach V's are up to $400 full retail and retail discounters have them for around $320.
I believe the Mach V is perhaps just a tad too narrow. So narrow in fact that it hampers the ability for the wing to use it's full inflation capacity when set up with a plate and tank. I think the area for the wing is a little restricted. I also think that because it's so narrow that too much length was added to make up for lift capacity (volume).
The internal bladder is very thick but I've already had to fix a pinch flat, which was no big deal, at least I could access the hole and put a patch on it.
However, I've been using the Mach V now for years, I was one of the first to use one on the west coast (I was a dealer) and overall it's been a great wing.
I do miss Oxycheq's old original razor series single walled wings. They were very simple and economical. There is a group of lobster divers down in the LA area that still use those wings and have put them through the ultimate torture. Some of them are all patched up and faded out but still kickin'.

I am intrigued by the new look of the HOG wings. I will not be able to make a full assessment until I actually get my hands on one.
Good price point too.

Eric, It would be better if you ask the mod to move your posts to a separate thread so we can keep the discussion on topic. As far as the Oxycheq wings go, the street price for the non-extreme version was around $270.00 up until the first of the year when it jumped to $320.00. Personally, I think that was a huge jump given the fact no other manufacturer increased prices that much.

One problem I find with the Oxycheq wing is that the wing is so stiff, it is not ideal for travel. Halcyon and DSS wings are far more flexible and pack better than Oxycheq's. I have the non-extreme version, so I do not know if the extreme is more or less flexible.

I would be interested in a single wall wing also. I kick myself for not bidding high enough for one on ebay. I am not sure why the market moved away from them. Halcyon, Oxycheq, and DSS made them, now no one does. Maybe Tobin can explain the move.

I don't have a HOG wing but I do have a Hollis S25 which I can measure if you want. I have other wings but 3 are horseshoe, one is an Oxycheq and another is a Halcyon. BTW there is a YouTube video showing a freedom plate used with a DSS horseshoe wing. It seemed to work fine.

The Halcyon traveler BC use a single wall wing. It's permanently attached to the plate though.

I thought Tobin still made a single layer wing?

Ill check his page when I get to my computer.

The Halcyon traveler BC use a single wall wing. It's permanently attached to the plate though.

I thought Tobin still made a single layer wing?

Ill check his page when I get to my computer.

Tobin used to make a wing called a tropic traveler that was single-walled. It was replaced by the Torus series which uses an inner bladder but is sown shut.

Last edited:
Eric, It would be better if you ask the mod to move your posts to a separate thread so we can keep the discussion on topic. As far as the Oxycheq wings go, the street price for the non-extreme version was around $270.00 up until the first of the year when it jumped to $320.00. Personally, I think that was a huge jump given the fact no other manufacturer increased prices that much.

One problem I find with the Oxycheq wing is that the wing is so stiff, it is not ideal for travel. Halcyon and DSS wings are far more flexible and pack better than Oxycheq's. I have the non-extreme version, so I do not know if the extreme is more or less flexible.

I would be interested in a single wall wing also. I kick myself for not bidding high enough for one on ebay. I am not sure why the market moved away from them. Halcyon, Oxycheq, and DSS made them, now no one does. Maybe Tobin can explain the move.

I don't have a HOG wing but I do have a Hollis S25 which I can measure if you want. I have other wings but 3 are horseshoe, one is an Oxycheq and another is a Halcyon. BTW there is a YouTube video showing a freedom plate used with a DSS horseshoe wing. It seemed to work fine.
I have my ideas on why the huge price increases, but I should probably keep my mouth shut.

I have my ideas on why the huge price increases, but I should probably keep my mouth shut.

Go ahead, we love juicy gossip on Scubaboard. What was weird is that the Black Friday deals on Oxycheq wings were actually better in 2012 than in 2011. Then whamo the prices on all the online stores increased by $50 around the first of the year.

Those of you who seem to have problems (posts 22 & 23 above), have you tried bolting the wing to the BP? I use a pair of the plastic/nylon sex bolts, and have no problems. Wing is a HOG 32, and the BP is a DSS. Two Highland SS cam bands wih weight pockets on the upper too.

With no STA, it sits closer too, keeping your COG closer to your body, thus adding more stability..

I did try the bolts but could not find any that were flat enough so the tank would actually wobble on top of the bolts.

I did try the bolts but could not find any that were flat enough so the tank would actually wobble on top of the bolts.

Try here. I use the plastic ones on my Oxycheq wing without a problem. What wing are you using?

.... the Mach V is perhaps just a tad too narrow. So narrow in fact that it hampers the ability for the wing to use it's full inflation capacity when set up with a plate and tank.

This is definitel a truth. I recently did two dives back to back with Halcyon Eclipse 30lb and Oxycheq MkV 40lb wing. Every piece of equipment is exactly the same except the weight. On surface swim, Halcyon 30 float me up better on surface than Oxycheq despite the 10lb lift deficit. The difference is noticeable. Even my teammate noticed. One possible reason for this is I use 4lb of hard weight on lower tank bands, 2 on eche side. This could further hamper the wing to be fully inflated.

This is my experience as well. The inner blader of the Oxycheq is also A LOT bigger than the shell. It is folding inside on all four edges. Together with stiffer shell, Oxycheq is harder to vent than Halcyon. All in all, H wing is better, more comfortable and complient.

I have no extensive experiece with HOG or DSS wings, but looking at their design, I would say they are closer to H than Oxy. Oxy MkV is not a bad wing, but I do think there are better out there. If I were buying a wing today, I will go for H, HOG, DSS or Hollis over Oxcheq.

Can anybody recommend a decent single tank wing. I will be diving a dry suit in the very near future but currently dive anything from a 2 mil shorty to 7 mil john and jacket. Im not currently tech diving just tired of not being able to find a bc that fits and does not flop around like a fish on my back

So, have you decided yet?:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom