Single Tank Wing recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own both STA and STA-less designs. DSS and Halcyon.
Both are fine. It makes no difference to me.

Choose the right sized wing, and a shape that is streamlined.

I used to own a Dive Right Venture wing. It's too big for an aluminum 80, and the shape is odd to me.

The only singles wing I have used is a HOG 32# so this may not mean much but I prefer using a STA. I started out without the STA and I found it to be to floppy when setting up and swapping tanks, trying to get the wing, plate and tank strapped together straight. With the STA I find it much easier to set the rig up straight. In the water I did not notice any difference between with or without the STA.

I have a Halcyon Infinity 18lb & 26lb, both purchased used. My experience with STA-less wings has been bad, and I always use an STA or weighted STA. I second the recommendation for the Ultimate wing lift calculator here on the forum, very useful.

Reluctantly I'd have to second the opinion about STA-less wings. They're a PITA.

I have an Oxycheq wing and Freedom plate. Beautiful to dive but a faff to set up, especially if you're sticking a trim weight on a cam band.

Diving my doubles or rather setting them up is a lot less pain primarily because there is a fixed and easy point of connection from wing to plate to tanks.

Those of you who seem to have problems (posts 22 & 23 above), have you tried bolting the wing to the BP? I use a pair of the plastic/nylon sex bolts, and have no problems. Wing is a HOG 32, and the BP is a DSS. Two Highland SS cam bands wih weight pockets on the upper too.

With no STA, it sits closer too, keeping your COG closer to your body, thus adding more stability..

I have a Halcyon Infinity 18lb & 26lb, both purchased used. My experience with STA-less wings has been bad, and I always use an STA or weighted STA. I second the recommendation for the Ultimate wing lift calculator here on the forum, very useful.

Can you name wing models and your experience, please. I've been diving a 'STA-less' wing (both wet and dry) and have had absolutely no problems. Curious what problems you've had.
Sure. My first wing was a new Halcyon Infinity 26lb that came with delrin(sp) rods embedded in the wing. The concept was that the plastic rods would fit against the tank so an STA wasn't required. On the very first dives I knew this wasn't going to work. No matter how tight the tank straps were, the tank would twist out of alignment with the wing and be sitting cockeyed. The connection was so weak that the BP could be twisted by hand and misaligned with the tank. So I sold that wing after one dive trip and replaced it with a used wing of the same model but without the delrin rods. That continues to be my main wing and I eventually added a similar 18 lb Halcyon wing.

The other thing I like about an STA, besides the rock solid stability, is the ability to use a weighted STA. I have several STA's from a 1 lb model up to a 6lb for diving dry. A weighted STA seems to put the extra weight just where I want it.

I have no philosophical objection to non-STA wings, but the Halcyon implementation did not work for me.

. . . With no STA, it sits closer too, keeping your COG closer to your body, thus adding more stability..

Pardon my interruption, but I am reading these and other posts on the forum as I'm trying to learn about the myriad of BS types so I can find one that works for me, and I would like to ask what does "STA" and "COG" mean, please.

Also, is there a BSD primer, website, or tutorial around that explains the various non-jacket types of BSDs and the different parts (wings, backplate, etc.) with their functions? Just when I think I'm starting to understand this topic I learn of something else and am back to scratching my head.

thanks!

I did a little looking and I'm seeing that Mach V's are up to $400 full retail and retail discounters have them for around $320.
I believe the Mach V is perhaps just a tad too narrow. So narrow in fact that it hampers the ability for the wing to use it's full inflation capacity when set up with a plate and tank. I think the area for the wing is a little restricted. I also think that because it's so narrow that too much length was added to make up for lift capacity (volume).
The internal bladder is very thick but I've already had to fix a pinch flat, which was no big deal, at least I could access the hole and put a patch on it.
However, I've been using the Mach V now for years, I was one of the first to use one on the west coast (I was a dealer) and overall it's been a great wing.
I do miss Oxycheq's old original razor series single walled wings. They were very simple and economical. There is a group of lobster divers down in the LA area that still use those wings and have put them through the ultimate torture. Some of them are all patched up and faded out but still kickin'.

I am intrigued by the new look of the HOG wings. I will not be able to make a full assessment until I actually get my hands on one.
Good price point too.

Back
Top Bottom