Single tank DIR - 5' or 7' long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your profile does nto give any inisght into the present state of your configuration. If you are using a plate and wing, the 7' hose makes sense as even without a light cannister you can tuck the extra under the waist belt where it can still be readily deployed.

DA Aquamaster,

I'm diving a plate, and I just took my fundy class this past weekend.
I purchased a 7' Miflex, but I don't have a canister light yet. So! that is the reason I'm considering a 5 footer.

No reason to buy a new hose. Either tuck the excess hose, or add a pair of shears where you'd keep a can light and tuck under those. Either option works just fine.

I really prefer the 5' long hose for single tank warm water diving. I have several 7'ers that I use for doubles and cold water (dry suit), but for warm water vacation diving (which is the only warm water diving I do) where I am not hauling a can light, the 5' is lighter (miflex) and routes much more cleanly - no stuffing or tucking required. It was dir back in the days when Jarrod wrote "Doing It Right" - it still gives you enough room to be comfortable while sharing air.

Jackie

I personally dive with a 7 foot hose on all my rigs (including in OW), and always encourage people to start with the 7 footer and then try that for a while before deciding to switch to the 5. People who are new to the DIR config often seem to be a little intimidated by the 7 foot hose, but you may find it perfectly suitable once you try it. And if you do decide to switch to a 5 foot hose, then you'll find it much easier to sell the 7 foot hose if you should choose to do that. There's not going to be as much demand for a used 5 foot hose, and you are more likely to get "stuck" with it.

Also, I disagree that the 5 footer is easier to stow with a traditional BC. I dove a 7 foot hose with a jacket BC for a time during my "DIR transitional" phase in the mid-1990s, and had no difficulty tucking it into the waistband to take up the excess slack. It was certainly no more trouble than what I do now with my OW backplate when not carrying a can light.

DA Aquamaster,

I purchased a 7' Miflex, but I don't have a canister light yet. So! that is the reason I'm considering a 5 footer.
No need for a shorter hose. On occasions when I dive pretty fish wrecks with no real penetration potential I'll leave the can light at home. The 7' hose just gets tucked under the waist strap. It stays secure but is still easy to deploy if needed.

I took an Intro to Tec class and the instructor was a DIR practitioner, when i dove with his doubles rig and used that style of gear configuration it was like the light bulb went off .....i have since switched to a 7 foot hose and a more stream line rig

One of my T2/C2 buddies uses a shorter hose on her single rig. I don't totallly know why.

Probably for the same reason I have 5' hose on my singles rig:

(a) because it works

(b) because at one time it was DIR recommended

(c) because in the real world it just doesn't matter

(d) because I have one

5' or 7', on single tank profiles it just doesn't matter.

This is like the "What backplate is better?" or "What wing is better" debate. WTFC.

(c) because in the real world it just doesn't matter

But this is SB and gawd dammit we are going to debate that 2ft!! :D

DA Aquamaster,

Hi! Long time no see.

I suggest you confirm with Karim, but I can assure you he's going to recommend you stick with the 7' hose for consistency across gear configurations. I use a 100% 7' hose config, doubles or singles. In a bp/w, it's pretty much a no-brainer that a 7' hose is simple to deal with: Tuck under a canister if you have one (and you will :cool2: ), else, until then, a pouch, shears in a sheath, or even simply tucked into the waist belt all works just fine. There's no need to go to a non-standard (anymore) DIR hose length to save two feet of hose.

One thing I will say, you might actually prefer the rubber hose for the long hose. The outer cover is "stickier" and stays put better. At this point, while you're still figuring everything out, that's probably more benefit to you than the small improvements Miflex hoses bring in other areas.

IMHO, I agree with Rainer, and don't see much point to the 5' hose, unless you're in a poodle jacket and genuinely can't manage the length. If you're in a bp/w, the 7' hose is no problem to manage, and if you're trying to dive in a DIR fashion, you may as well stick with one of the primary gear configuration items. If you're in a BC or completely don't care about DIR, the alternate configuration with a bungeed backup (just like DIR recommends... it just makes too much sense) with a 40" primary routed under the arm to a 90 degree elbow adapter on your reg seems to offer the next best ideal. Far better than the hose halos that result from traditional short hose regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom