Single Tank and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally don't see the point of an "H" or "Y" value on a single tank. Seems to me if you think you need one then you really need doubles with an isolation manifold for the dive.

Did anyone answer his question regarding the 7ft on the main and 24inch on his bungie? I have that similiar setup on my single but with a 23 inch hose and I'm going to return the 23 for at least the 24.

When I turn my head completely to one side I get the reg pulled, all the way to the other side is okay. So I'm thinking they sold me a 23 inch thinking I had doubles.

MG

So I'm thinking they sold me a 23 inch thinking I had doubles.

This is backwards, doubles can sometimes require a slightly longer backup hose. Never shorter though since its coming from the left post.

When I turn my head completely to one side I get the reg pulled, all the way to the other side is okay. So I'm thinking they sold me a 23 inch thinking I had doubles.

MG

It all depends on your regs/routing, but a doubles backup hose tends to route longer than on singles - on singles it comes straight out of a right-facing post, whereas on doubles it typically comes out of the left first stage, often on a downward-facing post.

Okay,

So is 24 inches the standard for the bungie backup when DIVING SINGLES???

Thanks,

mG

I don't know "the standard". I'm sure one of the recent DIRF grads could tell you; I haven't bought a hose in years. I do know alot of people can use a 22-23 inch on a single tank, 24" on singles or doubles depending on the regs/person and 26 inch is sometimes used on doubles.

I don't know "the standard". I'm sure one of the recent DIRF grads could tell you; I haven't bought a hose in years. I do know alot of people can use a 22-23 inch on a single tank, 24" on singles or doubles depending on the regs/person and 26 inch is sometimes used on doubles.

Thanks for the quick answer, I'll try to re-adjust my tank it might be riding low. I think the 23 inch might work... Just curious when I saw the original post and he mentioned 24 inch not 22-23... Also I do use a 24 inch on my SPG and it rides great, remember I dive singles...

MG

Thanks for the quick answer, I'll try to re-adjust my tank it might be riding low. I think the 23 inch might work... Just curious when I saw the original post and he mentioned 24 inch not 22-23... Also I do use a 24 inch on my SPG and it rides great, remember I dive singles...

MG

Hey Mike, just curious how tall you are? I tried a 24" HP hose on my single tank and it didn't work for me, so I put it on my doubles rig. I found a 26" worked best on my singles rig.

MG
Its very common on jacket BCs to see tanks hanging down by the diver's ankles. But in a properly setup backplate if you don't have your head pressed up against the valve something is probably wrong. Can you reach your valve (right hand over your right shoulder, elbow close to your ear)? Do you have a picture of your setup on you?

Mike, I think the consensus is that a couple of inches difference between 22-24" is not going to make or break the system, DIR-wise. Different regs and physiques may require different length hoses, including, as you've discovered, for singles. Someone said it well before, when they said not to stress needing an inch or two more or less on hose length, but if you need more than that, it's probably indicative of something wrong with your setup.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom