Single Or Dual Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
i am more towards marco photography, but i am wondering if i would require a second strobe, i am currently quite happy with my single strobe. i know for wide angle, i would require dual strobe to light up properly. but very seldom i would take wide angle.

normal what you guys take for wide angle? reef and big things like rays and sharks?

For macro, I think two strobes can help, but one can work fine, two gives you a lot more options.
Bill

If you ever get into WA, one strobe just isn't enough. Not enough power.

In any way, macro or CFWA, one strobe will usually give sharp shadows up close. Two strobes generally make the shadows softer.

Hi all,
i am more towards marco photography, but i am wondering if i would require a second strobe, i am currently quite happy with my single strobe. i know for wide angle, i would require dual strobe to light up properly. but very seldom i would take wide angle.

normal what you guys take for wide angle? reef and big things like rays and sharks?

Lotta articles out there on 1 vs 2 strobes....google it....I stitched to twins after doing the search, & 'it' seems to be better...:)......

Two strobes for macro can work very well, just make sure you don't overdo the second strobe otherwise your images will become flat and uninteresting :)

Additional strobe(s) allow you more control over your lighting. It also means that you have to commit more brain cells to execution of light control.

One big annoyance I ran into was having to reach out to both strobes and fiddle the power setting knob - I use manual and primarily utilize strobe light only, no ambient light. Life has gotten much easier lately since I now have a Frankenstein'd TTL converter that I use to manually adjust the power setting of multiple strobes via wired sync cables from a single control knob.

The biggest benefit is that the controller is located closed to the camera and I no longer have to take my eye off of the subject while making light adjustments. I can locate the controller and adjust by feel alone.

Two strobes are nearly essential for wide angle. They offer more area of coverage.

You can also get better coverage with two. With one strobe, you often get a prominent shadow cast by the subject. With two strobes you can avoid that distraction.

You can do pretty well with macro with one strobe. But two gives you more options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom