single or doubles BPW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently did a buoyancy trim and propulsion workshop with a GUE instructor and while I don't agree with ALL of GUE thoughts and practices I still want to take the Fundamentals course and want to do tech diving in the future. Im thinking of the fundamentals in the 2018 fall/winter

I currently use a tusa X wing back inflate BCD i have 2 tanks (1-120 1-149)
my dilema is Im still learning to dive and wondering if I should get more experience under my belt before I jump to doubles? Since Doubles will be in my future hopefully sooner than later why prolong a single tank?
Im thinking of twin 120s or 130s

any advice on BPW?
I dive dry and will have steel tank(s) im thinking a SS backplate. Id guess Id need about 40lbs lift?
any brands to reccomend or stay away from? Almost everyone around here that Ive got close enough to see dives Halcyon stuff.............

thanks!!

If doubles is your future, I'd say switch sooner than later. With a few exceptions, a BP is a BP is a BP. Harnesses can be made with webbing from your local fabric store for $10. The wing is the only consideration. I have the Xdeep Hydros 40 and 50. Very nice. Their new NX series are considered a cut above. I'd consider those. I do like how there are two holes to choose from when it comes to lining up your wing with your BP. Good luck.

Halcyon has a reputation for good quality, and high price. You will find a lot of fans of Deep Sea Supply on this board. They have reputation for good customer service, good products and reasonable prices. There is also OMS, Dive Rite and others. I'm not sure if it is still the case but the spacing of the hole pattern on the wing for Dive Rite was different than the other manufacturers so you could not mix and match their wings with another backplate. I'd go with a standard webbing harness without quick releases or padding to start with because it works for most people and does not cost much. Most people who think un-padded webbing will be a problem find it is not. But some people do need quick releases to address mobility issues. But try simple first.

GUE... may as well just bit the bullet and get a 40lb halcyon evolve wing. You see it a lot because it's pretty good and it's made by the DIR god himself. So to be seen in anything else is seen as very uncool in some circumstances.

Harness... any reasonable stiff webbing will do. I have some fancy halcyon stuff and it's no better than the cheap stuff I buy.

That being said... Ask the instructor you'll be doing your fundies course with. They might have their own opinions and advice. Some of the instructors don't like braided hoses - which I don't get. But some will expect you to change them. So ask them what they expect so you get no shocks.

Halcyon has a reputation for good quality, and high price. You will find a lot of fans of Deep Sea Supply on this board. They have reputation for good customer service, good products and reasonable prices. There is also OMS, Dive Rite and others. I'm not sure if it is still the case but the spacing of the hole pattern on the wing for Dive Rite was different than the other manufacturers so you could not mix and match their wings with another backplate. I'd go with a standard webbing harness without quick releases or padding to start with because it works for most people and does not cost much. Most people who think un-padded webbing will be a problem find it is not. But some people do need quick releases to address mobility issues. But try simple first.

And those people are told that they are not welcome on gue courses unless things have changed. If he even dreams about adding quick releases to his harness he is going to be told to jump.

I’ll warn you that trying to do a first time fundies course in doubles and/or dry suit vs singles and wet suit is making it hard on yourself. Particularly hard is doing them both with limited experience in them. You might be someone who can pull that off, but are you sure? Fundamentals isn’t easy in a single & wetsuit for most people.

Before you buy, take a doubles course. The instructor should be able to rent you doubles. Climb a ladder with 130s on. Consider if you are spending enough time in the gym in the squat rack.

And those people are told that they are not welcome on gue courses unless things have changed. If he even dreams about adding quick releases to his harness he is going to be told to jump.
Mer won’t. She will tell you why you should do it the right way, and then she’ll be amused when you don’t listen and break the cheap plastic QD. Sucks to be you if you don’t have replacements.

I’ll warn you that trying to do a first time fundies course in doubles and/or dry suit vs singles and wet suit is making it hard on yourself.
Yeah, I did my first-time fundies in doubles for the first time, after a long discussion with the GUE instructor. Yes, it was very unpleasant.

Instead of getting instruction and guidance, all I got from the GUE instructor was incessant ridicule and disparaging remarks for the entire duration of the course. I even bought a custom dry suit from the GUE instructor's shop, only to find out years later from the manufacturer that I paid for a custom suit but the GUE instructor gave me a standard off-the-rack drysuit.

I never went back to GUE. I went on to get my full cave cert from NACD a few years later.

That being said, starting with steel doubles will just compound the difficulties. Double AL80s are very easy to manage. I got rid of my twin steel 130s because I couldn't even go up steps anymore while carrying them.

Last edited:
Question, why double 120s or 133s? That's a lot of gas and a LOT of weight. What kind of dives do you plan to do? Think about matching your gas for the kinds of dives that you realistically plan to do.

If doubles is your future, I'd say switch sooner than later. With a few exceptions, a BP is a BP is a BP. Harnesses can be made with webbing from your local fabric store for $10. The wing is the only consideration. I have the Xdeep Hydros 40 and 50. Very nice. Their new NX series are considered a cut above. I'd consider those. I do like how there are two holes to choose from when it comes to lining up your wing with your BP. Good luck.
thanks!

not interested in quick connects really. thanks for the heads up on the hole spacing!

GUE... may as well just bit the bullet and get a 40lb halcyon evolve wing. You see it a lot because it's pretty good and it's made by the DIR god himself. So to be seen in anything else is seen as very uncool in some circumstances.

Harness... any reasonable stiff webbing will do. I have some fancy halcyon stuff and it's no better than the cheap stuff I buy.

That being said... Ask the instructor you'll be doing your fundies course with. They might have their own opinions and advice. Some of the instructors don't like braided hoses - which I don't get. But some will expect you to change them. So ask them what they expect so you get no shocks.

Im not sure what to make of the first half of your post, it sounds sarcastic and snarky.
She had a Halcyon wing with doubles although Im not sure if the model.
I will confirm other gear with her before purchase, I just asked about people thoughts on jumping to doubles early in diving or holding off and any gear to stay away from but yea thanks

I’ll warn you that trying to do a first time fundies course in doubles and/or dry suit vs singles and wet suit is making it hard on yourself. Particularly hard is doing them both with limited experience in them. You might be someone who can pull that off, but are you sure? Fundamentals isn’t easy in a single & wetsuit for most people.

Before you buy, take a doubles course. The instructor should be able to rent you doubles. Climb a ladder with 130s on. Consider if you are spending enough time in the gym in the squat rack.

I wasn't planning on taking the course the day I picked up a set of doubles.
I did talk to her about it she said at first I would be challenged with doubles but not overwelmed i could do the fundies rec pass in a single tank and when I get doubles do the upgrade to the fundies tech pass for no extra charge from her. i have 2 dives in a wetsuit the rest were dry.
Im not worried about the weight of them on shore. Yes Ive carried twin 130s before.
my question was mainly do I continue to gain experience with a single tank or switch do doubles sooner than later since its in the future anyways?

thanks for the heads up on the difficulty of the course though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom