Single light rig questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I have searched for reviews or feedback about using a single light with a gopro but cant find any. Mostly I would use it for macro shooting. I think I can make the filters work for general dive video. what i have seen would be good enough for my needs.

Single light questions for something like this rig Backscatter :: Underwater video :: package deals

• Is it a waste of time and money to use only one?
  • Would it be better to wait till 2 can be purchased?

Thanks

I shoot most of the macro with a 2500 lumen light, although I do have another I rarely use them together. It depends on conditions. In most cases 1 bright light (1500 lumens or more) should be sufficient.
As far as the filters go I don't use light with them.

Hi all, I have searched for reviews or feedback about using a single light with a gopro but cant find any. Mostly I would use it for macro shooting. I think I can make the filters work for general dive video. what i have seen would be good enough for my needs.

Single light questions for something like this rig Backscatter :: Underwater video :: package deals

• Is it a waste of time and money to use only one?
  • Would it be better to wait till 2 can be purchased?

Thanks

I use an archon II on my camera pole. This light is inexpensive and has 800 aprox lumens with 110 degrees of illuminating area. Enough light power and radius for single or close up application.

The issues with a single light are shadows and backscatter.

A single light like the archon or DRIS impact will provide plenty of light, but you will need to position it near the camera to avoid illuminating only one side of your subject, and this will maximize backscatter.

With two lights you can position them on each side of the camera, which will provide a more uniform illumination and minimize backscatter.

That said, if money's a problem, go ahead and get started with a single light and add the second when you can. You'll still have fun and get some nice clips with a single light, eh?

You might want to check out our light and tray system (and we have filters too). The MAKO direct prices may surprise you.

thanks
Dano

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...rguns-two-handle-transformer-camera-tray.html

two-handle-camera-tray-starter-package-with-flex-arms-and-lights-direct-mount.jpg

The issues with a single light are shadows and backscatter.

A single light like the archon or DRIS impact will provide plenty of light, but you will need to position it near the camera to avoid illuminating only one side of your subject, and this will maximize backscatter.

With two lights you can position them on each side of the camera, which will provide a more uniform illumination and minimize backscatter.

That said, if money's a problem, go ahead and get started with a single light and add the second when you can. You'll still have fun and get some nice clips with a single light, eh?

This maybe true for the most part but here is some footage of how a ONE archon mounted on a mono pole did in regards to backscatter or shadows. Mind you the current was strong at the time but vis was still at least fair to good that day at La Jolla canyon.

[video=youtube;9tfr209YKHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tfr209YKHg[/video]

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

This is all very good Intel!!! Soon as I get home I will look at these options closer. I think a single light would work for my needs. I used a single strobe on my camera for years without much issue. One thing I am trying to keep under control is the overall size and weight. I am tired of my camera being so huge and heavy (traveling not in the water).

When I get on my PC. I be throwing you guys some thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slow on the replies, sorry. for size and weight and no experience with video, seems like a single light will be fine. after getting better at shooting I can always upgrade. thanks for all the info, very helpful!

This is what I use. It works but im not trying to shoot professional looking video. I just record for myself and my family to see where I go sense they dont dive.uploadfromtaptalk1432477075374.jpguploadfromtaptalk1432477103775.jpg

Back
Top Bottom