Singapore Airport Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laine:
Hi,
We are flying to Sinapore via AA from US to Japan and Japan Airlines to Singapore. The Singapore airport website makes it sound like there are many transit desks available, but we did not find out their hours or if they are open 24/7. We really do not want to have to go through immigration. We have now heard that AA and Silk Air have a ticket agreement which will allow us to book our luggage all the way to Manado. We hope that is true. I would still like to be able to check on our luggage whereabouts during our 8hr. layover in Singapore. Thank you everyone for your advice. The Singapore airport sounds like an amazing place.

Lain

I'm sure when you check in with AA in the US, the counter will tell you if your luggage has been checked in thru to Manado.

Just in case, you could always call Silk Air...

Here's their contact info...
Town and Ticketing Office 77 Robinson Road
#25-01 SIA Building
Singapore 068896
(Near to Tanjong Pagar MRT Station)
s.gif
Operating Hours:
Monday to Friday: 0830hrs to 1730hrs
Saturday, Sunday and Public Holiday: Closed
s.gif
contact_dottedline.gif
s.gif
Reservations
Tel : (65) 6223 8888 (24 Hours)

Internet Helpline
Tel: (65) 6580 7007 (0830 Hrs to 2200 Hrs - Monday to Saturday

I fly through singapore every few weeks.

I am suprised you can't check you bags checked through to manado: if I can get my bags through to Bali and Manadao (via mongolian airlines, singapore air and silk air) then I suspect you will be able to as well.

If not then go to one of the transit counters when you arrive, collect your boarding pass and see if they will collect and forward your bags for you.

Singapore customs is the fastest I have ever seen and theres no problem with traffic - so grabbing your bags and getting a hotel in the city for a few hours (which would be my preference) is not a big issue.

Cheers,
Rohan.

We have been out that way twice now from the USA. I don't know when you are going but in advance, contact the transit hotel and get a reservation for however many hours you need. I suspect you arrive around 1:30 a.m.ish and depart 9:30am ish. Get a 6 hour block beginning at 2 a.m., departing at 8 a.m. http://www.airport-hotel.com.sg/rates.htm That page is for rates but look around the site and find the reservations link on it. A 6 hour block is about US$36 for 2 people. It will take several days to get a confirmation, so don't worry.

In Michigan, check your bags all the way to Manado. You should also be able to get your Silk Air boarding pass in Michigan. If you can't, go to the Singapore Airlines desk at LAX or your connecting airport and get them. When you arrive in Singapore walk to the transit hotel and get prone. In the morning, grab some coffee, wake up and walk to your Silk Air gate. Singapore Airlines is very good about taking care of your bags so check everything except what you will need at the Transit Hotel and have a great trip. Don't worry.

8 hours is not enough time to leave the airport to overnight somewhere. If, on the way back you have to overnight in Singapore, look into the Signapore StopOver offered by Singapore Airlines. Their rates are the best and include transfer to and from the airport/hotel.

Hope this helps.

Sandra

Oh, I see you are using AA. It should be no problem at all getting your boarding passes, seat assignments and luggage all the way to Manado from Michigan or where ever you are departing from in the USA. Also, when you stop in Narita you will have to get off the plane for about 45 minutes and then reboard. You will have to take everything you've brought as carry-on so with you so that's another reason to check everything you can except what you will need for the transit stay. It all sounds complicated and scary but it's really not. We did all this for the second time last month. Hope you are staying at the Kasawari in Lembeh.... it's a fantastic place.

Sandra

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your helpful hints. Our travels could not have gone more smoothly. We were not able to check our bags all the way to Manado, but checking with the transit desk for boarding passes and staying at the transit hotel for 6 hours went like clockwork. The Singapore airport is a well oiled machine. US airports should take a lesson on customer service from them.

Our diving on the N. Sulawesi Aggressor was fantasic and our two dives in Bali on the Liberty were wonderful. We cannot wait to redo this trip. The long flights are tough, but I cannot imagaine not doing the location again. The Indonesian people were warm and friendly. The Aggressor staff was outstanding. I had made a wish list of critters I wanted to see and almost everything was checked off (mimic octopus, blue ring octopus, hairy frogfish (I even found one), lacey scorpionfish, stargazer, dragon sea moth, many pygmy seahorses, leaf scorpion fish, Juv. sweetlips (so cute), waspfish, huge turtles, the tinest jv. lionfish, parrotfish, and frogfish you can imagine, giant frogfish, painted frogfish, ambon scorpionfish, ornate ghost pipefish, male, female and juv. ribbon eels and the list goes on and on).

So thanks for all your advice. I left Michigan feeling very secure about traveling to this wonderful destination.

Laine

fdog:
Less than 12: Transit hotel.
12-14 hours: Le Meridien Changai Village, which you can occasionally get great internet rates at.
14+ hours: Go downtown. I usually am at the Raffles or Swissotel (both sit over top of the City Mall, and, the City Hall Metro Station).

I can't help it. The Le Meridien should be used as a last resort only. Le Meridien is one the top 3 worst hotels I have stayed at. Go into the city and find a place to stay. Taxi is only about 15 minutes longer.

Singapore airport is nice and you can occupy at least 2-4 hours of your time shopping an looking around. You can also go to the gym on the 2nd floor, shower and then sleep at burger king (nobody is ever there).

No Starbucks coffee shop.

starbucks? wat's tat? heh heh heh, just kdiing, there IS a starbucks AND a coffee bean & tea leaf in the transit area. there are 2 termianls though, so you may have missed it.

oh ya... forgot about the budget terminal.... kekekeke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom