Singapore airport help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem Sherlock.
Just for clarification, NW indeed is not a part of Star Alliance, but they still have an interline baggage agreement with SA. Most major airlines have interline agreements for baggage.

The sticking point is only the long layover time, nothing else. Most airline computer systems kick out the interline just based on layovers exceeding 4-5 hours. But, just request it when you are checking your bags in at the airport. The agent will "try" on the computer and it will either work, or not.

One more thing, SA will allow you to online check in 48 hours in advance, unlike American carriers who make you wait till inside 24 hours, so you can print your boarding passes for SA when you print your NWA passes. You will show these to the NWA agent when you are checking in your bags.

I would like to point out, contrary to my previous post, that I was misinformed by Singapore Air and I was NOT allowed to check my bags through because my layover was over 6 hours. Therefore, we just collected our bags at baggage claim and spent the night at the Crowne Plaza right next to the airport. BTW, that hotel was very cool, but not cheap. If I had a lot of time to burn between flights and didn't want to sleep, I would just collect my bags and hire a taxi. All taxi drivers there are very knowledgeable and friendly and will give you a nice tour.

I am off to Siladen Island Resort (Bunaken) on Sept 22.
This thread has great info but doesn't quite answer my particular situation.

Unfortunately I am going via UNITED (not Singapore Air) or this would be simpler.

My UNITED flight arrives at Terminal 3 at 11:35 pm. That gives me nine hours till the Manado SILK AIR flight at 9:25 am from Terminal 2.

I don't think UNITED will check bags through to Manado because that leg is on Silk Air. So I will have to claim my bags and re-check at Silk Air.

When I claim the bags from United, do I have to clear customs/immigration before taking them to the Silk Air check-in desk IF I am not leaving the airport?

This info will also help evaluate my options for using the Ambassador Transit Hotel.
Thanks for such a great thread.
John in Evergreen, Colorado

I've checked my bags in at DIA all the way to Manado it is not a problem. I've done it 3 times and one time I was using frequent flier miles so the Silk Air flight was purchased seperately. I showed them my etix and they had the info on there computer even thought the flights weren't linked.

Another tip is after you arrive in Singapore is to go to the Singapore Air counter inside terminal 3 and get your Silk Air boarding pass for Manado. They won't issue that in Denver even though they will check your bag all the way thru to Manado.

Wow, that was fast ChinaCat46!
I'll report back my results to add to this fine thread. :cool2:
john

If you get your luggage checked all the way through, and have the time in the morning of you layover take the opertunity to try some of the local eateries an shopping... nothing like Sim Lim Square in the morning topped off with a good Blackpepper Crab

If you get your luggage checked all the way through, and have the time in the morning of you layover take the opertunity to try some of the local eateries an shopping... nothing like Sim Lim Square in the morning topped off with a good Blackpepper Crab

Think most of the shops at Sim Lim (& other shopping centres) won't open that early in the morning... Not that I've tried Sim Lim that early... :rofl3:

Thanks for the tip, Codiak (and xariatay)
I love Blackpepper Crab!
If I don't have time on the going there leg, I might have more time in Singapore on the way back home.

Hypertexas, whether United will check your bag onto the Silk Air flight depends on whether or not United has a "baggage agreement" (I think that's what they called it) with Silk Air/Singapore Air. Call United and ask them that specific question, and after they run around awhile looking it up, that will tell you if you can check all the way through. Don't just ask "Will you check my bags through" bc you'll get the wrong answer 50% of the time. ;-)

I had to go through this as I was flying into Singapore on EVA and then taking the Silk Air Manado flight. EVA does NOT have the baggage agreement.

Couple of things:

1. If you have to claim and then recheck your bags, you'll have to go through customs/immigration.

2. If you have to claim and then recheck your bags, you'll be subject to the lower inter-asia weight allowance, not the nice generous allowance for flights starting or ending in the US. I think it was 50# or something last february; check Silk Air's website. I had to pay $60 to get my 75lbs of scuba junk to Manado. Same for your return, if you're reversing the itinerary.

3. You can stay at an airport hotel either way. If you don't have to claim and recheck your bags, by all means stay at the airport hotel. If you have to exit the airport, you can stay at the Crown Plaza (I think that's what it was), which is on the airport grounds. It's more expensive than going outside the airport, by alot (cost me $250 or something ridiculous like that), but it is much more convenient.

4. For food, there are plenty of yummy options in the Terminal 2 food court. I had fish ball noodle soup for breakfast, yum!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom