Singapore airport help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does the hotel res have to do with luggage?

I've never stayed at Crowne Plaza, but the transit hotel was more than adequate for my needs.

I think he is worried whether he can check his bag all the way thru or whether he will have to claim it and recheck it in Singapore. If he can check it all the way thru then he would prefer to stay at the transit hotel. If not then the Crowne Plaza. Clear as mud?

I'll be staying at the transit hotel early Wednesday morning(1:30am) before my flight to Manado at 9:25am. I wish I was already there!

In March I'll make my first transit through the Singapore airport on my way to Lembeh. On our flights home we arrive in Singapore at 5pm, then fly out to Houston at 2:25am. As I've never been to Singapore is it feasible to leave the airport for dinner and a bit of quick sightseeing? We could get a transit room, but 5pm seems a little early to start catching up on sleep (but maybe it would be a good option to de-grunge before sitting on a loooonnnggg flight via Moscow).

In March I'll make my first transit through the Singapore airport on my way to Lembeh. On our flights home we arrive in Singapore at 5pm, then fly out to Houston at 2:25am. As I've never been to Singapore is it feasible to leave the airport for dinner and a bit of quick sightseeing? We could get a transit room, but 5pm seems a little early to start catching up on sleep (but maybe it would be a good option to de-grunge before sitting on a loooonnnggg flight via Moscow).

Definitely feasible. The Singapore airport is well connected to the city centre by MRT (our version of subway) and public buses. Singapore is small enough and it is easy to get to any corner of the island.

You may end up paying rush hour charges in a taxi but you should still be able to get into town for S$20-30 and take less than 45 minutes for clearing immigration and the ride to town. Visa are easy, free and obtained upon arrival. UDMC on East Coast is close to the airport and overlooks the sea to Indonesia. Boat Quay and Clarke Quay are more touristy but in town and a further 5-10 minutes. You'll likely need to change some money although most restaurants and taxis take credit cards.

I have transited/layed over in SIN several times. Here is some of what I have learned:

Ambassador Transit hotel vs Crowne Plaza: compare the total cost of your layover. Since the Ambassador transit hotels (3 locations, one in each terminal) charge for a block of 6 hours (currently $68 sgd with tax) you are getting a small room and a TV with a few channels for a short stay. If you need 2 blocks of time, you might be more comfortable to spring for the more expensive Crowne Plaza ($160usd/nt approx) which has beautiful, fully equipped rooms and better TV service. Crowne Plaza is accessed via the unsecure side of Terminal 3, so if you decide to go for the Crowne Plaza you will have your bags tagged to SIN, reclaim your luggage, and take it with you to the hotel. If you have packed a change of clothes in your carryon and DO NOT want to reclaim your luggage, see the notes below. Immigration is a breeze for US citizens.

Interlining baggage: not a big deal. SIN is the best airport I have ever seen for this.
If your airline will tag your bags all the way to final destination, you can do so if you choose. Many airlines will not do so, or cannot do so, because their computer system refuses to allow that long of a layover (over 4 hours). If this is the case, and the bags can only be tagged to SIN, it is not a problem. All you have to do is stop at a transit desk inside the airport (secure side) after you disembark from the plane. Show them your e-ticket for your onward flight(s), your luggage claim tags, and they will print your boarding pass and have your bags re-tagged to your onward destinations. No hassle. You do not have to go thru immigration or baggage claim. These instructions are also given in your confirmation email if you book a room at the Ambassador Transit Hotel, since you would not leave the secure side of the airport for this stay.

There is a skytrain that runs from 5am to 2:30am between the terminals. There is a small shuttle bus between terminals from 2:30am to 5am, you will need to ask at the information desks in the airport to locate the exact spot where this bus stops. It is not marked with a sign for some reason.

There is a skytrain that runs from 5am to 2:30am between the terminals. There is a small shuttle bus between terminals from 2:30am to 5am, you will need to ask at the information desks in the airport to locate the exact spot where this bus stops. It is not marked with a sign for some reason.

It's not marked with a sign because I heard that only one guy has ever used it although he has used it on several different trips. :p

It's not marked with a sign because I heard that only one guy has ever used it although he has used it on several different trips. :p

Ha ha!
Well, there was one other guy on the bus with me.
And if you are on the 6am Northwest flight to NRT it's your only option to get to terminal 1.

donnyb, thanks for the timely info.

I will be doing an overnight in Singapore in early Feb. Northwest from Tokyo (1AM)and then on to Bali (9:30AM) on Singapore Airlines. I will still try to get Northwest to check my bags thru to Bali. I know they are not travel partners, but it doesn't hurt to try. At least knowing that there is a transit desk to handle ongoing luggage and boarding passes will make life a whole lot easier and still be able to use the transit hotel.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays,
Sherlock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom