Simple tank rack for a pickup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also made a couple of pool noodle gizmos for when I want to lay them down. Dirt cheap, easy to make, serve the purpose. A few noodles at $1 each plus some nylon rope & a little time.

But often, if I'm taking the truck, I have enough crap that I prefer them standing rather than laying. So this thing.

Wayward Son:
I also made a couple of pool noodle gizmos for when I want to lay them down. Dirt cheap, easy to make, serve the purpose. A few noodles at $1 each plus some nylon rope & a little time.

But often, if I'm taking the truck, I have enough crap that I prefer them standing rather than laying. So this thing.

I have a truck as well and was looking for a way to stand my doubles up as they don't quite work in the noodle rack being so heavy. I stand them up now and just strap them there with a cargo strap but sometimes if I don't strap them tight enough they will slip out so I'm going to use your idea and make me a rack for the pickemup truck.

Thanks for the idea and if you would like you can post the pic's and plans on my DIY Site so others can see it as well.

I'll take some extra pics this weekend to show some things that can't be seen in those 2.

On the pool noodle, you can make the same thing even more durable by using sections of PVC pipe rather than pool noodles.

2 each 2x2's 24-1/2" long / cut a notch out of one end 1/2" deep x 4-1/2" long
1 each 2x4 20" long
3 each 2x2's 18-1/8" long

Position 2 of the 18-1/8" inchers like so . . .
=========

=========

Take the 2 24-1/2" 2x2's and put them, with the cutouts facing inward, vertically on top of the 18-1/8" pieces flush on each side.
Place the 2x4 piece vertically on the 2 horizontal pieces and centered between the 2x2's. Space the two horizontal pieces so that they are flush with the ends of the 2x4 piece.

Square everything up and nail/screw the pieces together.

Attach the last 2x2 to the long end of the 24-1/2 inch pieces.

This will work with 7.25" and 8" tanks. It keeps them from rolling side to side and from moving back and forth when you brake. You can also put some type of gripping material on the bottom of the 2 horizontal pieces if you have a problem with the rack sliding.

A couple of slight radii or shallow "V" slots cut on the bottom of the horizontal pieces and centered over the tank positions will also allow you to stack tanks if space requirements dictate.

the K

Wow! I didn't expect such a big response. Thanks everybody, I may try some of these ideas out next week while I have some time. I have only been a SB member for a short time, and already feel "at home". The members here have really helped both my wife and I enjoy the sport (sport? way of life?) so much more. Thanks!

Some more.

This is a look at the spacers I posted about, these are inside the ends of the top cross bar:

rackshims.jpg

This is a closer look at the lower left corner:

rackcorner.jpg

Pool noodle holders. A 3 tanker:

3tank.jpg

A 2 tanker:

2tank.jpg

ill take some pics tonight of the rack i made for my truck. its similar to the white one above. i used 2x4s and mounted 2" pvc 8" apart with eye bolts for straps/bungees. the whole thing slides into the vertical little indentions in the front of my bed (chevy 2500hd) so it isnt moving. pvc and 2x4s are cheap, only cost was about $15 in hardware for the eye bolts.

The Kraken:
2 each 2x2's 24-1/2" long / cut a notch out of one end 1/2" deep x 4-1/2" long
1 each 2x4 20" long
3 each 2x2's 18-1/8" long
Position 2 of the 18-1/8" inchers like so . . . blah...blah...blah

Ok, I followed this guy's instructions to the letter and wound up with a 42-story condo in my truck. This kind of stuff has to stop - posting plans like this that sound innocent and ostensibly helpful and actually wind up being socially destructive.
the K - you're sitting nice and dry up there in Alphawhereevah while I'm down here in southern Florida with 384 tenants screaming for their lives in my truck condo tank rack in the middle of Hurricane Katrina.
Man I'm glad I have good earplugs and absolutely zero social conscience.

Don't forget to take advantage of the fact that most pickups have vertical & horizontal slots in the side of the bed that will fit 2x10's quite nicely.

--'Goose

Back
Top Bottom