Simple tank rack for a pickup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for transporting tanks (probably four at the most) in the back of a pick up truck. Mostly transporting local, but some two hour trips to the coast. Thanks.

if you are wanting to stand them up you can buy a really nice rack that mounts in your truck along the sides or on the tool box... they rack arms flip up and down so they are not in the way when you are not using them..... for no more tanks that you are talking about it would not cost a lot........

I took eye bolts on my barge and put them 7 1/2 inches apart and put my tanks standing up with a small bungee cord between each one..... it has worked well and has not cost hardly anything......
the dice shop i work at has some if you need more info ..... clay >.........

I made my own from scrap laying around the house.

It is not attached to my truck. The top strap hooks into the front anchor holes. I take it out when not in use:

tank-rack1.jpg

In use. After this pic was taken I added 2 screw eyes so I can use a 2nd ratchet strap to secure the tank bottoms from sliding out:

tank-rack2.jpg

WS-

I really like that set up. Can you send me some specs (supplies I would need, ect.) Thanks.

what I use quite often in the back of the truck is a few sections of "pool noodles", tied together about 4" apart with poly roap.

I got a little fancier after that and built a plywood box, 24"x24", divided into 4 sections, and set up on a 45* angle, so that 4 tanks will sit in it. I'll try for some pics tomorrow.

m7scuba:

You can buy a "pool noodle" at the dollar store and use some spare rope
that you have in the garage and make one of these yourself for really cheap.

hmmm... that reminds me.... I need to go to the dollar store.

BTW... Wayward Son, I like your low cost tank rack solution.

If you really wanted to secure those tanks good, take another
smaller "outside rack" and attach it with a piece of all-thread
and some wing nuts and washers. They'd be held in there
nice and tight in the event of a traffic accident.

Not much. Some 2x4's, wood glue (optional, but I had some so used it), 2 1/2 inch wood screws, 2 screw eyes and 2 ratchet cargo straps.

I cut the 2x4's to fit across the bed top & bottom, then 2 uprights. I pre-drilled all screw holes so nothing would move when I tightened it up.

The uprights are on top of the cross bars, they're the outer edges to set tanks against.

The small bits are also 2x4. I laid the assembly down, put a tank against the left upright & positioned the upper & lower blocks to its right. Marked position with a pencil. Removed tank, drilled screw holes (2 each), applied glue, screwed down. Move the tank & repeat across the gizmo. It'll hold 7 tanks across, no reason I couldn't have more than one layer of tanks.

I made the upper blocks 1 5/8 wide, lower are 1 1/2. My tanks have boots so I made the bottom 1/8 smaller to allow for them.

The uprights are 19, cross are 61.

My bed liner makes the top of the bed farther in than the bottom. I needed spaces on the top to use up the space & make it sit vertical, so on the back of the top cross bar I stacked 2 short 2x4's, about 6 inches. This is one 2x4 on the back, then another mounted on top of that one. I did this near each end.

Along the top bar, on the back side away from the tank, I also put a screw between each tank position. These are so I can wrap short bungees around the valves & hook them on the screws. This isn't really needed & I usually don't bother, but they can rattle a bit without it.

I did add 2 heavy screw eyes to the uprights. These are mounted just above the lower bar. I found that without a lower strap the bottoms of the tanks could slip around and on a hard turn they might slide out from under the top strap. Never had that quite happen, either, but I don't take the chance.

The large pool noodles work great and to keep them from bending, deforming and the rope from pulling out I added a length of 3/4 inch PVC pipe to the center hole. Just put a little lubrication on the PVC and it will slide right in with a little push. Hum, sounds kind of kinky when you say it that way. But it does work pretty well. I drilled holes through the noodle and PVC about 4 inches from each end, threaded the rope through each noodle (I used 3 which will hold 2 tanks but you could as many as you wanted) put a SS fender washer on the rope and tied a knot in one end of the two ropes. Then laid the tanks down pulled everything together and ties off the other ends the same way. Works like the factory made ones for about half the price.

I'll post some pictures when I get home from work tonight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom