Simple point/shoot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, historically carried a small Olympus bought on close out in 2009. I don’t take many pictures, just the random thing that catches my eye. Looking for a more up to date simple camera to upgrade to. I am guessing they have come a long way. Do they still need the case? Any suggestions would be great. No desire to grow my skills:) thank you

Hi, historically carried a small Olympus bought on close out in 2009. I don’t take many pictures, just the random thing that catches my eye. Looking for a more up to date simple camera to upgrade to. I am guessing they have come a long way. Do they still need the case? Any suggestions would be great. No desire to grow my skills:) thank you
How deep do you want to go? Are you interested in both stills and videos or just one or the other? Do you like macros, or just people and reef scenes?

How deep do you want to go? Are you interested in both stills and videos or just one or the other? Do you like macros, or just people and reef scenes?
Not too much on macros. Stills are most important but a video option wouldn’t hurt. I like large coral formations, took pics of lava tubes from beneath in Hawaii, turtles, bigger items for the most part. The more compact the better.Thank you

The sweet spot for a lot of folks is the Olympus TG6, or the TG5 if you can find one used. They are good all-around, but great for macros. Unhoused, they are only rated to 15m. Housed, no problem, but bigger and most costly.

For deeper than 15m unhoused, the only real choice is the Nikon Coolpix W300, good to 30m. Disadvantages are no RAW files just jpg (so hard to white-balance) and useless for maro without other lenses.

The best waterproof camera in 2022: underwater cameras for fun and action

Growing popularity is a housing for your smartphone, which has a pretty good camera.

A lot of folks use GoPros or similar, but they are optimized for video, have only a wide-angle lens, are terrible for macro, are really low-end of stills, and they still need a housing. But they are small.

Black Friday might be a great time to pick somethin up.

Isn’t the sealife micro 3.0 also an option for simple point and shoot?

I don’t have any experience with the Nikon or the Olympus, I just recall also looking at the sea life when trying to find a simple point and shoot for a similar purpose.

30 meters is borderline but with some awareness doable, I don’t know what Maro is or white-balance, so it might be fine otherwise. At this point the Olympus with a housing might be the best option. My last one is an Olympus and lasted 13 years with no issues. Thank you

Cameras have changed. Many old cameras are still capable of taking great pics. Do you have a specific issue with your current camera that you want to solve?

Buying a newer camera without a specific goal may lead to disappointment and frustration when you realize the only difference you see is age of the camera.

I have the Sealife Micro 3.0

It's a decent underwater point and shoot.

Fully sealed, so you don't need a housing.

Controls are simple and easy to use underwater.

If you have a modern iphone or android a housing for that will probably be your best option. Keep in mind that the deeper you go the more light is an issue.

Isn’t the sealife micro 3.0 also an option for simple point and shoot?

I don’t have any experience with the Nikon or the Olympus, I just recall also looking at the sea life when trying to find a simple point and shoot for a similar purpose.
Don't know about Micro 3.0 but from what I can gather it is a very much improved 2.0. I have used a Micro 2.0 for years. You turn it on, select underwater, and it takes amazing video and stills. You can also customize settings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom