Similans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi StevenI.
Yup, guilty as charged, non-resident. You may have more data averaged over more seasons than me, I was just there for awhile.

Yeah, on my 3 trips tours, all three stoped at Koh Bon (2 on one boat, 1 on another). Since there weren't any Mantas there yet our season, it was a nice but not amazing place (cept for the sea snakes, which were beautiful) until the boat stopped at Koh Bon Pinnacle the last trip (Nov/Dec 2007), which was fabulous. After Koh Bon it was Koh Tachai, then Similans, then Richilieu, then (I think) Koh Tachai again, then home. Maybe they stopped there bc I loved it so much, but I doubt it. ;-)

[Edited to add: Checked my dive log, and I got the order completely wrong, Koh Bon and Koh Tachai were indeed between Similans and Richilieu Rock.]

Yeah, there's dynamite fishing in Burma. I hate that. It's really depressing to see it, and even more so to hear it (from a distance). When I went (way back in 2005, right after the tsunami, the quality of the diving was spectacular). It may have detiorated since then; I know Mergui used to be known for pelagics, not so much even in 2005. I've never seen bigger schools of baitfish though. I hope they aren't all fished out now, that would be sad.

Maybe I just missed out on the good diving around Phuket. Not saying the diving's not worth doing, sorry to give that impression, esp if the diver is most interested in land-based diving. It's just that from what I saw and from what I've read on here, Similans is many times more lovely, especially if one is flying across the ocean to do it.

In the US, Thailand diving is much undervalued among the general dive population, among my peer group anyway. When I tell them I spent 18 days diving back to back in Thailand, they just kind of stare at me like, "Why?". I was pretty amazed when I came, and how really good it was. It was totally worth extending my booking from the original short stay to the longer stay.

Highly highly recommended.

Last edited:
Yup, guilty as charged, non-resident.
I would not call that guilty, but it does mean that perspective, possible very valuable to the op, is based on a shorter period of time.
As mentioned, I think you picked up a lot of useful information about the diving here.
Yeah, on my 3 trips tours, all three stoped at Koh Bon (2 on one boat, 1 on another). Since there weren't any Mantas there yet our season, it was a nice but not amazing place (cept for the sea snakes, which were beautiful) until the boat stopped at Koh Bon Pinnacle the last trip (Nov/Dec 2007), which was fabulous. After Koh Bon it was Koh Tachai, then Similans, then Richilieu, then (I think) Koh Tachai again,
As mentioned, that would be really exceptional, since from South to North they are located: Similans-Koh Bon-Koh Tachai-Richelieu Rock. And I don't know any operator that likes to spend gasoline, the main expense on a liveaboard boat.

Personally I don't like Koh Bon if there are no mantas.

We use Sea Dragon out of Khao Lak for our liveaboard trips and our customers have been very happy, there is a review on my website. As for the southern sites such as Hin Deang and Hin Mouang, we can get you down there on one of our overnight trips, so you get in Phi Phi, Koh Ha and Hin Deang too. Khao lak isn't too far from Krabi for the transfer over with plenty of options.

Well anyone that can give me some price quotes please send a private message. I'm looking to bring my girlfriend who is NOT a diver. Private bath, aircon, double bed.

Also, are there specific days that the boats leave or can you go out anyday?

thanks,

Well anyone that can give me some price quotes please send a private message. I'm looking to bring my girlfriend who is NOT a diver. Private bath, aircon, double bed.

Also, are there specific days that the boats leave or can you go out anyday?

thanks,

If she does not dive, you may want to consider daytrips there are dives at each island every day between the different dive ops. And stay in a hotel in Khao Lak so she wont be totally board waiting on a live aboard.

I use sea dragon, sea bees, and liquid in Khao Lak. They were all good operations.

Whoever said that the Similan dive sites are not that great is either extremely spoilt or blind or something else derogatory.

I highly recommend you to do at least a 4 day cruise (Similan Islands + Richelieu Rock itinerary) but if you have time and enough green you may want to book even a longer cruise that includes Hin Daeng and Hin Muang too or will venture into Myanmar's Mergui Archipelago.

Agreed completely. Koh Bon, Tachai and Richelieu are my favourite Andaman sites.

Personally, I have had good experiences with Khao Lak Scuba Adventures and Seadragon. Both are competitive.

Don't recommend agents in general because they have their own agenda.

Don't knock agents, they, as myself have a common interest in selling quality diving. I sell my own services ( have my own two boats), but where I need to cover a service my divers want, then I will sell another dive centres trips. Not a single baht is added to the price and the customer has the knowledge of dealing with a business that has all the trading rights, refund policies etc for both customer and business protection.
However, if you are on about freelancing dive masters working illegally here on tourist visas, collecting commission by reselling dive trips to maintain their lifestyle, then I quite agree. Buyer beware! So many hide within forums and in particular, Facebook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom