Similans update!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FHuge granite boulders. The vis made it seem like you were out hiking in the Sonoran desert submerged underwater. For me personally it was very cool as I have not been back to AZ for at least 5 years. I hope that makes sense.
Arizona

Hey Arizona,

I like your reference to the Sonoran desert. I can relate and was thinking the same when I was diving around those boulders in the Similans and at times I was thinking the boulders were skyscrapers and I was diving in a submerged city. I really enjoyed those dives!

So you haven't been back to Arizona in 5 years. Wow, wait until you come back. I live a few minutes by bike from the Diamondbacks ballpark. Downtown Phoenix is becoming a great place to live, work and play. The construction is a hassle, but it's worth it.

Eric

Only the Similans :)

My girlfriend and I are currently planning a trip to Thailand for sometime between January and March 2008 .... but, we're having a hell of a time trying to decide between diving the Similans or Mergui (Burma).

Can anyone offer any advice??? If you've dove both, did you find that one out-shined the other in creatures, corals, whale sharks, or even topside scenery..??

Currently, I'm feeling drawn more to the Burma sites. I believe primarily because of their remotenes and uncharted nature. But, my fear is the dives might not be as wonderous as everyone says the Similan-Richelieu sites are supposed to be.

Do the shear number of liveaboards in the Similan-Richelieu area ever effect the quality of the diving?? Or am I getting the wrong picture?

Is it possible to do day-trips down to Hin-Daeng and Hin-Muang from Phuket?? Is it worth it? Or are there better day excursions in the area?

Arizona and mjh...
we are also booking on the Philkade and from what I've read in your posts it looks like the perfect choice. Were there any particular reasons you guys chose the Similan trip over the Burma trip???

mjh, I would love to hear your impressions of the Burma trip when you get back if you haven't already returned. Also, on a side note, I just saw the pictures of your Guadalupe trip back in 05 .... I might be heading out there later this month and am .... soooooooooooooooo excited. Your pictures just sparked that excitement even more. :D

Thanks, ahead of time, for any advice.

Is it possible to do day-trips down to Hin-Daeng and Hin-Muang from Phuket?? Is it worth it? Or are there better day excursions in the area?
AFAIK: not at the moment (depending on what's happening with Eden).

If you've dove both, did you find that one out-shined the other in creatures, corals, whale sharks, or even topside scenery..??
If you're lucky regarding vis, sightings, etc.: Burma offers excellent diving, if you're unlucky mediocre. If you're lucky the Similans etc. offer very good diving, if you're unlucky still nice diving.

mjh,

My wife and I are scheduled to be on the Philkade during Nov 14-20th. Sounds like you might be on the Philkade during that same time. Anyone else? Really looking forward to diving the Similians. I hope their everything they are said to be and that my shorty and a Microphrene will be adequate for the temps. Look forward to meeting all of you on board.

Not to get too political, but why give the Burmese government any money with the current state of affairs? For me the Similans was an easy choice being in Thailand. The Philkade was a bit expensive, but I wanted to splurge to try to persuade my non diving spouse to come along. I wound up going solo with no regrets.

WCollins,

I dove in a skin (rash guard suit) and was fine. Most had 3m. A shorty should be fine.

AZ

I dove in a skin (rash guard suit) and was fine. Most had 3m. A shorty should be fine.
For some that is enough, but with 4 dives a day, for quite a few divers a shorty is too cold and a full suit would be better.

hey hey
how is similan condition right now?
I went to similan last year (jan 2007), the water was cold, the visibility was bad...
So wanna to go again next month. Hope the condition is good.
Please advise me condition right now. Will going to Phi Phi island as well, so Phi Phi info also welcome :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom