Similans Diving, Without AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanshark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a mature (experienced, Seasoned, whatever...) diver with over 100 dives (Warm water), however I only have a standard PADI OW and not an AOW. I've done the liveaboard thing (Blackbeard's in the Bahamas and loved it). I've done a significant number of Drift Dives (Cozumel 30-110 feet, 2-6 knots), Deep Dives (Bahamas 100-130 feet) and of course a Shark feeding dive (Here Kitty Kitty..). I'm A Photographer and use my own dive equipment. I am very comfortable in the water and have excellent Buoyancy control.

Will I have trouble getting a ride with any of the Similan Liveaboards without an AOW or equivalent? Or would my Dive log and charm suffice?

Lanshark...

Or would my Dive log and charm suffice?

Lanshark,
If your skills and experience are as you write you will be more than ready to dive the Similan Islands.
Bring your logbook and certification card because they (probably) will be checked and keep your charm ready for responding to all those wonderful Thai smiles.

Yep - you will have no problems: you sound a lot more experienced than many divers who dive there.

The only issue at Similans is that the current can be ripping at times: in which case leave your snorkel behind, stay close to the bottom, surface at the required time and use a SMB on every dive: one that can be launched from 5 meters depth or more. A Dive Alert can be useful in getting the boats attention once surfaced.

The logbook in this case is key. As many of the dives are quite deep, you will want to show that you've got experience in deep diving, in particular. I've never seen a Similans boat refuse to allow a diver who's never done a night dive participate in them, but I have seen boats restrict OW divers to 18 meters if they couldn't document deep diving training or significant experience in deep diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom