Similan liveaboard - Choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree entirely, for those that are not in the know about the Thai diving industry I would also recomend using an agent for booking live aboards (for most things I would recomend otherwise).
It is commonplace for diving customers to not recieve exactly what they are expecting, and all the good agents would not recommend companies that partake in such practices to protect their own reputations.

Hello Gentleman,

Quero: Yes, see my statement, it has information about most of the boats, not all. And the booking button sends you an email to a human being, so it is not a computer - computer system, there is human behind it. If you are on the other side of the world, like myself, it doesn't matter the system that you are using, there is still some risks on it and booking it only when being in Thailand in December is not an option due to the number of people doing it at same time.

Karin: One of the boats that is listed there is the junk, so they are not unknown boats and you can easily google them for additional information. Also, you can have a PADI certified liveaboard, which is almost (not 100%) certified as qualified boat. Thanks for the wished =)

In General, I am using the website without problem, same as I buy airplane tickets via websites and also booking hotels, just be sure of the risks and how to mitigate them.

Carlos

Obviously, Carlos, you do what you are comfortable with and what works best for you. But for others who may be reading this thread, it might be useful to know that the list in the website is not only incomplete (for example, Karin's boat, Oktavia, which is a really nice choice, isn't listed), but the list is also outdated. The boat Explorer IX is no longer in service, for example, and will be replaced by Halleluja. It could be that whatever person pulls the booking data from the web-booking knows this, but... the point remains that the customer pressing the 'booking" button doesn't know it and is presented with incorrect information on which to base a decision about making a purchase. That's a pretty big risk, in my opinion, and I wouldn't personally be willing to take it if, like you, I were traveling halfway around the world for a dive trip. As I said earlier though, YMMV (você que sabe).

Last edited:
How about recommending a few reputable agents for live aboards operating out of Phuket.
I'll be there about the middle of February 2012.

I'm planning my trip to Similan right now too!! Want to go at the end of January 2012.
After read a lot of suggestions I decided to start in Khao Lak. It's not far from Phuket and rates are cheaper 'coz you are closer to Similan.

Looks like you've been spending hours browsing the web! This note is only meant to give you a little insight into a misconception you've got. It's not actually any cheaper to start in Khao Lak (except maybe you can find cheaper accommodation pre-trip, but I'm not 100% sure of that even). Otherwise, regardless of where you start, the trip price is going to be the same for any particular boat you book on, whether you start out on Phuket or at Khao Lak. In fact, most operators offer no-cost transfers from Phuket on the day of the sailing and back again, whereas if you travel from the airport directly to Khao Lak you will have to pay for a ride up there (and back again when you leave). Anyway, I just wanted to set you straight on costs.

Think of it this way: The round trip from your hotel to the boat is included (generally) in the price of the cruise. The trip from the airport to your hotel is on you. If you really want to save money, stay at a hotel near the airport.

timchea, it's a fair question, and I hope other people will answer it. I can't as I work with several really good and professional agents, but from "the other side" :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom