Similan liveaboard - Choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I have travelled mostly around the coral triangle. It could be time to see whats on offer from the Andamans. I hear there are liveaboards going out of Phuket to Similans. Particular want to dive Richeliue Rock. Any recommendations? I have read about the MV Nautica. Requirements are Nitrox, Safety First and mid-high budget is fine for me.

They have a schedue that also goes to the Mergui Archipelago near Burma, but Im not sure whether the diving there is good or not.

When and where are the Whalesharks? planning for between Jan-Marh next year.

Thanks for your input.

Hi Gee,

Nautica is a good boat, and there are others in the same price category, with Nitrox, and including Richelieu in the itinerary. What would help narrow down the options is a projected trip length. If you want a four-day Similans/Surins trip, most of the boats do have them. If you want a longer trip, for example, six days or more (even 10 days), only a few boats offer the longer trips. What are you aiming for?

Whalesharks are hit or miss. There is no really reliable place where we regularly see them. When they're around, it tends to be Feb/March, but then they may be seen at any time of year, if you're lucky. Not too long ago there were whale sharks near Phi Phi, which isn't a place where we "expect" to see them.

Hey gee. Two words. THE JUNK!!

Hoping to head back around the same time so keep in touch with your dates!

Hey MA!!! :D How are you? Just got back from Sipadan.

I did look at that famous JUNK boat, I do prefer the option of Nitrox and it is much preferable though not entirely essential. Thanks also Quero, any other suggestions I should look at? Im happy to do a 7-10 day itinerary having come all the way from Australia.

Otherwise I find the Nautica to suit my needs, so should I consider the Mergui archipelago at all?

How safe are the waters around that region, particularly around the Burma border?

There are pros and cons to doing the Burma trips, but in my opinion, the cons are "heavier" on balance in comparison to the pros. I wouldn't spend the time or money on another Burma trip.

Safety wise - The waters are fine. However, it's really important to consider how remote the region is AND the political issues. There are NO evacs possible from the outside. So no matter what happens, the dive operator has to get to Kawthuang (Burmese side of the border with Thailand). Then passing through immigration (which happens at their own pace and not at night...regardless of the persons condition) and then onto Phuket (200km South).
A few operators (higher end, with a reputation to protect) will be able to sort this out but the budget operators lack satellite phones, oxygen supplies and training.

You do realize that there are boats and offers not listed there, right? It's pretty tempting to use a website with a button for booking, I admit, but here where there are so many options that are hard to distinguish, I think it generally works better to interact with an actual human agent rather than a push-button web-agent. But YMMV....

What Quero says..........I recommend contacting an agent: they know the boats and they can recommend the boat(s) that suit your needs and wishes. It's very easy to post nice pictures on a website, but it may be a different situation when it comes to reality. You mention safety as a factor. Well, just as an example: life rafts have to be inspected yearly to ensure they work correctly and that the first-aid kits inside haven't expired. I'm sure you won't find any websites stating "we do have life rafts, but they haven't been inspected for 5 years". The agents have a better overview and the good ones only recommend boats they know are good and safe

I wish you a wonderful time in the Andaman Sea :D
Karin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom