Similan islands liveaboard - recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarah_oz

New
Reaction score
hi everyone!

i am travelling to thailand with my boyfriend for a few weeks in january, and want to do a 4 night livaboard around the similan islands. i have done some research, and seem to be getting a lot of conflicting information!!

if anyone could recomend a good boat to go on that would be great! we are in our 20's, and while not backpackers, do not have a huge budget. what should we be looking at spending, for something that is clean and comfortable with decent food and deck space, with great diving, as well as safe/good equipment etc.

also, is it necessary to book in advance? (we will be there early jan) is it better to get one out of khao lak or phuket?

thankyou!!

There will probably be last minutes, though early Yanuary is a very busy time of year. And with last minutes you can never be sure what you're getting, and if you'll be able to get on the boat you would prefer.

Good value for money boats but not the most basic ones are e.g. Daranee, Really Wicked Witch, Explorer, Jonathan Cruiser. Go a bit up in budget and you'll get cabins with bathrooms en-suite, which none of these boats offer.

Some of the boats depart from Phuket, some from Khao Lak. If you depart from Phuket for a Khao Lak boat, transfer will be included, but will take about 2 hours.

Hope this helps you a bit.

It is the old dilemma between booking the boat you want in advance and turning up and chancing your arm on-the-spot (to crown a phrase).

If you book in advance on the internet you can have your accommodation, transfers, equipment and any other requirements sorted out before you get there, not to mention the honest opinions of those who know the local operators.

Might be worth keeping in touch with latest deals and specials in Thailand here: Similans Specials. You can hear about them when they are announced, so you need to stay on top of that situation.

Otherwise rock up and you might find there is no space and/or you end up going on a boat you really rather wouldn't. Or of course you might get lucky and save a few $$$. However if you are going to the effort of treating yourself to a liveaboard trip in the Similans you may as well do it right and get on a boat you will be happy with rather than finding yourself on one that others don't seem to want to go on.

As far as recommendations go you will probably hear a hundred different stories from a hundred different divers so get an idea of your budget, have a look through your range of Thailand Liveaboards and then talk to someone who can advise you on your best choice.

Have a great time!

Hi Sarah - I was in the same boat - no pun intended.
Through assistance from Marcia who visits this board a lot, I am now booked on the West Coast Explorer. I decided on that one because a/ good ratio of DM to Divers, b/recommendation by Marcia, c/ dates and location, d/ boat set up.
Hope that helps.
Feel free to message me if you want Marcia's private contact details.
Tae

I live in Thailand and from what I have gathered, prices are anywhere from about 15,000 to 30,000 and up. My suggestion is to search some of the local dive shop websites or email them for some information. Prices don't have to have to be expensive. If you don't mind sharing a bathroom prices are around 16-18k for good boats with good food and crews.

I am diving with diveindeed.com Dec 6-11 Similan trip for 16,500. They are helpful and you can contact them with your dates and they will recommend a boat or agent to help you. Also, Dumnam.net :: Come to Join Us. is a great company to book through. Even if they don't have a trip for your dates contact either or both for some help. It's generally cheaper to book through a dive shop that charters the whole boat for a trip.

I hope this helps.

A while ago, i was diving on the Similan Islands with Coral Grand Divers, in Phuket. I was pretty happy with the accomodation. Nice boat, a lot off space, good food. Maybe look at there website.

I dove with Sea Dragon out of Khao Lak 2 years ago. I was very happy with the experience.

Back
Top Bottom