similan for beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catalinakid

Registered
Reaction score
I've read that the Similans are not good places to dive for a beginner.
Are there particular places that are for a higher level and others more suitable for beginners or should the beginner just stay away from Similans altogether?

catalinakid:
I've read that the Similans are not good places to dive for a beginner.
Are there particular places that are for a higher level and others more suitable for beginners or should the beginner just stay away from Similans altogether?

You can try day trips around Phuket and Phi Phi first.

What is it about diving in the Similans than would make it tricky for a beginner?

Most of the divesites at the Similans are not very difficult, only the possibel depth can make it tricky. There can be currents, but hardly ever are there vertical currents.

Places not suitable for a beginner:
Koh Tachai (a bit further to the North), Richelieu Rock (also a bit further to the North) and Deep Six at the Similans themselves. Depending on the current conditions, there could be some sites added to this list.

There are even Open Water Courses conducted at the Similans (if this is a good or bad thing is another discussion), so that already indicates that there are quite some sites suitable to beginners.

There are many dives in the Similans that are well within the range of a beginner.
Get a good operator and let them know how far you want to ppush yourself and then see what's available.

Like a lot of places currents n viz will vary, I remember one dive (the site i cant remember off hand) where iz went from 25m+ to a couple of metres within mins when a current brought in a lot of suspended sediment.

Also, Richelieu Rock for example when the tidal currents are running is not a place for the inexperienced.

All said though, there are many dive sites which are well within the reach of most divers, the dive guides will be able to recommend a profile for most divers at the majority of sites. I think it would be the exception to the rule for any one to have to 'sit out' a dive.

Thanks all, I am reassured now, I'll just ask the dive master and avoid those mentioned.

catalinakid:
Thanks all, I am reassured now, I'll just ask the dive master and avoid those mentioned.

If you are an Open Water diver with little experience, and if possible for you, a VERY good idea to combine any Similan Islands trip with an Advanced Open Water course. Liveaboards normally offer it for around 100 - 150 U$ as part of the cruise. It's always a good idea to get your first experience of deeper dives with an instructor as part of a course. As stevenl said there are some sites which (if the currents are running) can be hard on new divers. If you do a course you know then that you'll dive with an instructor and be well looked after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom