Similan conditions now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any reports on the conditions and pelagic life in Similan/Richeliew right now?

Thanks

Jon

Hi everyone,

Any news on the whether the corals recovered from this year's coral bleaching event ?

Heard that Similan island corals recovered since the monsoon started, but the shallow corals, esp those without benefit of facing a current (i.e on east side), are still impacted ....

will be diving in december, and it would be nice to know which dive sites are still considered "good shape"....

Hey there,

we've seen mantas at Island 9, Koh Bon and Richelieu Rock. Loads (14 in one dive) of eagle rays and dolphins at Surin Islands, there were a couple of whale sharks cruising at Koh Bon, turtles all over the place, great visibility, flat calm seas and nice weather. When I say "we" I mean the guys & girls on our boat - not the poor bugger sat in the office :admin:

Coral bleaching: yes, in the shallow areas. Dive sites such as Elephant Head, West of Eden, Christmas Point, North Point still great. The Surin island dive sites are in great shape, minimal damage. The soft corals and most of the hard corals are recovering in the Similans. Richelieu Rock is still mind-blowing.

I'll be diving in December as well - finally :D

Greetings from Khao Lak
Karin

I also read pretty alarming news about the health of the ecosystems in Thailand... I wonder what is the real situation since many of you are actually dive operators...

Anyway, I am going to Thailand in february and I will write a report on this board about what I saw.

I also read pretty alarming news about the health of the ecosystems in Thailand... I wonder what is the real situation since many of you are actually dive operators...
So, does that have anything to do with writing what is really happening?

Anyway, I am going to Thailand in february and I will write a report on this board about what I saw.
And I'm sure that will give valuable information to some people. Just as the reports from operators, covering many trips, can give valuable information.

It is actually hard to get an accurate view of the global situation. I don't want to be rude, but there is confusion and contradictory information everywhere I look.

I am sorry if I offended anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom