"Silver Surfer" Monk Seal - Tag B-13 - Halona Blowhole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the info Jon..

and yeah, not to quibble, but when i spotted B-13.. the seal was already within 100 feet and closing fast.. swam right past me.. then under that overhang.

later on in the dive.. it again swam past me in the canyon.. then straight up that 50 foot wall.

What? You can't out swim a seal?! Personally I don't see anything wrong if the animal comes to you under it's terms (and it's pretty awesome when they do) . . . there are some in positions of authority, however, who are more inclined to the letter of the law than the spirit.

In terms of N5, while the letter on the tags indicates the year the animal was born, the 'bleaches' (the markings on the animal's coat itself) are annually unique, but basically random (in the NWHI there are series that indicate the island that the bleach was applied).

Two complicating side notes that no one may care about but me . . .
1) the letters on the tags were not applied in the sequence we learned in kindergarten. The last five cohorts have been (from 2007-2003) B, O, V, I, and R. There is a federal committee, from whose infinite wisdom, this order was determined.
2) The color of the tag indicates the island the seal was born on: Red (Main Hawaiian Islands, Necker and Nihoa), Yellow (FF Shoals), Tan (Laysan), Green (Lisianski), Blue (Pearl and Hermes) Pink (Midway) and Gray (Kure).

Regards,

1) the letters on the tags were not applied in..sequence.. The last five cohorts have been (from 2007-2003) B, O, V, I, and R. There is a federal committee, from whose infinite wisdom, this order was determined.
2) The color of the tag indicates the island the seal was born on: Red (Main Hawaiian Islands, Necker and Nihoa), Yellow (FF Shoals), Tan (Laysan), Green (Lisianski), Blue (Pearl and Hermes) Pink (Midway) and Gray (Kure).

Regards,
more great info!

so.. when i sighted V-08 last November.. it was just a yearling.
and, the tag colors makes sense, since the ones i've seen around Oahu are all red.

lol.. we all know what comes from "committees".. and then a "federal committee" :eyebrow:
Cheers.

Aloha, I'm a new member but a long time user of this site. I'm an Oahu Monk Seal guy, and find this site to be a great source for sighting info. I'd like to thank Jon for a great introduction to Monk Seal sighting 101, and of course to VBlueV, a big Mahalo for the fantastic Blowhole video and stills. B13 is a 7 month old female, born on Rabbit Island. Her name is Sadie. This was the first reported sighting of Sadie away from Rabbit Island. Ya' done good ! Just as an odd little factoid, it just so happens that V08, seen by VBlueV last year, is Sadie's 2 1/2 year old brother. All sightings and shots should be forwarded to PIFSC.monksealsighting@noaa.gov

More info from NOAA..
Tracy Wurth from NOAA:
J.J. I received your e-mail about the monk seal at Blowhole. I've taken over for Erin Moreland as the monk seal sighting coordinator so you can send me your info directly in the future.. Tracy.Wurth@noaa.gov

The seal you saw is a 7 month old female.. She has 2 red tags in her hind flippers: B12 in the left and B13 in the right. Its great you were able to read the tag as it helps us ID the seal..

aloha,Tracy
Tracy Wurth
Monk Seal Sighting Coordinator
Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center
1601 Kapiolani Blvd., #1110
Honolulu, HI 96814
808.944.2178 office
808.220.7802 seal sighting line

lol.. I actually saw both numbered tags.
B-13 at the start of the dive..
and B-12 when I saw her in the canyon.
(when I took a second look.. the B-13 tag shown again)
'almost thought I had spotted two different seals..
but just attributed it to temporary bad visual focus. :D

btw.. thanks for your info too DB and Spragg01

I've worked a bunch with Tracy. She's good people. Good eyes to pick out the tag at depth vBluev. Often times they're not easy to read when the seal is sleeping on the beach, even at only a few feet, nevermind when moving.

best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom