Silly ?... What is a CV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverblam:
Hello,

Looking at dive job listings, they ask for a photo and CV... I'm presuming it is some form of a resume perhaps? Would someone please enlighten me?

Thank you! =)
Beverly

curriculum vitae.
Main Entry: life history
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: the story of one's life
Synonyms: bio, biography, curriculum vitae, CV, life story, resume
Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.2.1)
Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

This should probably be moved to non diving related forum.

A CV is a curriculum vitae, latin for life's curriculum. Basically the new pc term for resume. Resumes are supposed to have a purpose - what job you are applying for. A CV just states what you've done with your life. Take out the goal part of the resume and just list your experience and education and you've got the CV.

CV stands for curriculum vitae, a latin phrase meaning something like 'the story of your life'. Your resume, in other words.

Dive-aholic:
This should probably be moved to non diving related forum.

A CV is a curriculum vitae, latin for life's curriculum. Basically the new pc term for resume. Resumes are supposed to have a purpose - what job you are applying for. A CV just states what you've done with your life. Take out the goal part of the resume and just list your experience and education and you've got the CV.
Being Latin it's actually a very old term. And has nothing to do with politcal correctness! It's simply a different term for the same thing in different countries, the UK for one. The terms are interchangeable.

I realize it's an old term :D It's pc now in the states though to call a resume a cv.

Dive-aholic:
I realize it's an old term :D It's pc now in the states though to call a resume a cv.

I don't know where you got that info and I don't doubt it, but the term has been in use for ages in the scientific community. Perhaps some people think they can now call their "resumes" CVs, but they don't really apply to the average person who has nothing besides work experience to show for their life.

I always thought that your resume was your work history and a CV includes a bio and education emphasis. A CV would be used for someone with post graduate work and advanced degrees. (not only...but the emphasis is on more than your job history) A plumber or a store manager would have a resume, a scientist would have a CV.

catherine96821:
I always thought that your resume was your work history and a CV includes a bio and education emphasis. A CV would be used for someone with post graduate work and advanced degrees. (not only...but the emphasis is on more than your job history) A plumber or a store manager would have a resume, a scientist would have a CV.

Nah. Same thing. Sort of like "etcetera" [etc.] and "and so on" are the same. Languages like English, which has borrowed heavily from many other languages for its rich vocabulary, commonly have synonymous words derived from different source languages.

However, Catherine, it's just human nature to try to find subtle differences in meaning when we have synonyms. Very often, the only difference is what we linguists call "register," or situational appropriateness for the use of a particular vocabulary item (contrast "hi" and "how do you do" as a greeting when you're introduced to somebody). Curriculum Vitae, being untranslated Latin, might give you the impression it is more appropriate for high-fallutin' education/work experiences, like people with advanced university degrees would presumably have. The regular Joe Plumber gets left with the somewhat less prestigious term, even though it was also borrowed from Latin, via a translation into French. In reality, the two terms are interchangeable in English. And there's nothing pc about it since using the word "resume" cannot be seen as non-pc. (But that's a different topic.)

Hope I haven't bored too many with the Linguistics lecture.... I list an advanced university degree in the field on my own resume/CV, LOL.

Dive-aholic:

How is the word 'resume' un-PC ?
CV and resume are the same thing. In UK we don't use the term resume so much, it's always been a CV to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom