Silly ?... What is a CV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a career counseling professional, I can tell you that Catherine was really the most correct in the use of a CV (from a U.S. perspective). It is not the same as a resume. CV's are generally (not exclusively) used in academics to list educational credentials and a life body of work. A resume is the same as it has always been, although the format always seems to change. There are now several different formats preferred by employers to either emphasis your work history or your applicable skills.

I'm not sure why there would need to be a "PC" name for resume...

I guess in this context, I'm really surprised to see a dive shop asking for a CV instead of a resume, unless they required a doctorate, which would seem like overkill.

catherine96821:
Quero! Love your posts.

hey, would not the vernacular language affect the meaning though? I always thought that after a word was used a certain way for long enough, the meaning evolved.

a graduate program never asks for a resume.

A store never requests a CV........
In my experience, both terms are older than dirt. I would define the CV as the sort of thing you use when introducing a speaker presenting a paper to a group of Biologists. A resume is used to get an interview for a job. Because they have different uses they contain different (though much of the same) information, couched in different terms.
Perhaps today's common useage has blurred the distinction somewhat, but to me they are different and the differences are clear.
If a potential employer were to ask me for a CV rather than a resume, I'd take that as permission to send a resume of several pages vice the traditional single page.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom