Silly Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpyderTek

Reaction score
Ok, So, I've been hooked on diving for a couple of months now. Certified and (I'd like to think) pretty book knowledgable...

However, when it comes to dive advertising there is still a phrase that is used over and over again that I jsut can't seem to figure out what it means exactly..

"Two tank dive"

What does this mean? Does it mean:

A) You are going underwater once but will have two Tanks strapped to your back for extra air?

B) You are going under water twice with one tank strapped to your back each time?

If the answer is A) Why are so many dives listed as Two Tank dives when the average BCD sold is a One Tank varriety? Why not say "Duel Tank Dive"?

If the answer is B) Why don't they say "2 Dives"?

I am trying to make plans in the comming weeks for a weekend dive so this information would be really helpful to me.

Sorry for the silly question.

SpdyerTek

Spyder,

My interpretation of "two tank dive" is always B -- 2 dives (although of course, each dive could be with one or more tanks per dive).

Perhaps this is because the vast majority of divers dive with one tank per dive...?

-LD

Unless it is different somewhere out there -- the "two tank dive" phrase is used by charters to indicate that they will be taking you out for two single tank dives.

I don't know of any charter operator that offers a double tank (two tanks on a single dive) dive. Doubles require a different reg setup to what most divers use, and in my short diving career have seen only commercial divers, tech-divers or tech-want-to-bes using doubles.

BTW - not a silly question, when I first got into diving, and started asking about charters, I had the same question.

I'm not a commercial diver, tech-diver or tech-want-to-be, but I use twins on most dives. My reg is the same using twins or a single. The only thing I change is tank strap vs bolts to attach my jacket to my tank(s).

WWW™

I think most dive ops mean "B" - I don't think most divers do doubles. When I've done dives described that way in the tropics/Florida, it means they bring (or maybe you bring) two tanks for each diver. Around LA/Ventura, generally speaking, you bring one tank that the boat refills...depends on the operator though. It is always better to ask than wish you had. Do you dive locally there?

Originally posted by SpyderTek

If the answer is B) Why don't they say "2 Dives"?

I am trying to make plans in the comming weeks for a weekend dive so this information would be really helpful to me.

Sorry for the silly question.

SpdyerTek

Because if they say two dives, you'll get stuck with a buddy that sucks his tank empty in 15 minutes while the rest of the boat gets 45 minutes.

Originally posted by Walter
I'm not a commercial diver, tech-diver or tech-want-to-be, but I use twins on most dives. My reg is the same using twins or a single. The only thing I change is tank strap vs bolts to attach my jacket to my tank(s).

WWW™

I stand corrected, but as I said, it's what I've seen -- and obviously what I've seen does not apply to all "doubles" users. You live and learn, thanks for correcting my misconception Walter.

I read the phrase as follows

2 tank dive means 2 separate dives but on one trip i.e. you do not return to base in between. Two dives per day usually means separate trips. This tells the diver whether it's possible just to do say the morning dive without having to spend the whole afternoon on the boat, quite good for getting that last dive in on the day before an evening flight.

Neil

for me 2 tank dive means:

You are going to be getting in more dives than I will and for that I am jealous!

Calgon take me away (to the crystal clear waters of the carribean, oh and can a few dozen of my friends come along too?)

That's not a dumb question. The answer is B, but I think that "two tank dive" is a misleading phrase... Here in the northwest most charters do not provide tanks or weights and you bring what you plan to dive. Singles, doubles, ponys, stage bottles, whatever, it's BYOT... We don't have in-water divemasters either.

-kate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom