silica gel packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any other tips for newbie?

haha i just found the tips and techniques forum............

Yes, I insert 2 in the housing for my Canon A520.
By the way, you can reuse these packages. If you poke a few holes on the paks with a needle, you can put them in the oven at around 250 degrees F (not too high or it might melt the plastic) for about 5 mins, they'll turn blue again after the moisture has left. Just store them in an air-tight container (or orginial package) for your next use.
Dive safely.

EvaL:
By the way, you can reuse these packages. If you poke a few holes on the paks with a needle, you can put them in the oven at around 250 degrees F (not too high or it might melt the plastic) for about 5 mins, they'll turn blue again after the moisture has left. Just store them in an air-tight container (or orginial package) for your next use..
Another alternative is the microwave. I set it to the 10% power setting so it doesn't melt the packages, and then run it for 10 minutes or so. The indicator turns blue in about 5 minutes, but additional moisture is still coming out for several minutes afterwards. I don't both poking pinholes since the packages are semipermeable. I'll try the pinhold trick on the next round to see if it speeds things up.

only problem is now, I cant find any around the house, and i am diving soon

just a couple more questions, you say to turn of AiFi, does that mean i should set it to centre or 'flexizone', also what ISO should my camera be set to? (Auto, High ISO Auto, 80-800)

Just take it for a dive and don't worry about it. The worst that can happen is that the lens will fog up a bit and you won't be able to take photos.

Several times I've been too lazy to recharge the silica gel and don't bother putting one in. Never had a problem. That may be because Maui isn't all that humid, and the air temp and water temps are pretty close to each other.

Whether or not you will have fogging/condensation problem depends upon a variety of things such as the relative humidity and temp of the place where you close up the housing, and the temperature of the water you dive in.

2 gram indicating dessicant packs can be found at the bottom of the page http://www.preservesmart.com/products.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom